• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 headsail rigging question

dfresh808

I have a 1976 E29 with a 150% on a roller furler. I also have a 100% jib that i would like to use when the wind picks up. My question is which genoa track to use for the #3. My shrouds are all the way outboard at the sheer, With the primary track outboard of that. When using the outboard track, I cannot obtain a good sheeting angle to use the #3 jib upwind effectivly. When I use the inboard track on the fwd cabintop, the sheeting angle is poor because of the fwd shroud is in the way. How do you other E29 owners rig your #3 jib? Would it be poor form to run the sheet aft between the Fwd lower shroud and the Upper shroud? Solutions and comments appreciated. Does anyone have the dimensions for a good #3 jib? What configaration do you other E29 owners use in 18-20 knots with a sloppy seaway?
Thanks for your reply

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Sail design problem

A #3 can fit very well on either track, but not both. See if you can get a saimaker to measure the boat for a heavy air jib, and mention your concern about sheeting angles (some sailmakers are sharper than others, so this should be mentioned as an issue). By getting foot and leech lengths right (and leech hollow), a sail can be designed to fit either at the front of the inboard track or on the outboard. I would prefer a higher clew and use the inboard track, as this will give the best visibility and clearance for waves in heavy air along with good pointing due to the better sheeting angle. You will then always have the option to use the outboard track if beam/broad reaching, and get the double benefit of a forward lead (needed when sheets are eased for reaching), and an outboard lead (also faster when sailing broader angles), while still enjoying the visibility and wave clearance of the high(ish) clew.

If the sail is designed for the outboard track, the clew will be lower, sheeting angle wider for upwind work, and you have nowhere to go (in terms of outboard/forward lead) when reaching.

Either way, it can be designed to fit.

Your existing sail may be able to be recut to fit better, and if you like the sail you have, this is the place to start-just call your local reputable sailmaker..
Enjoy,
S

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
#3 Head sail

I have an E-27 with a 95% head sail. I do exactly what you are asking. I run the sheets between the forward lower and the upper. The sail was purchased four years ago and was custom fit and measured by the sailmaker to be rigged that way. It works great and trims just fine that way. I also have an 80% which sheets inside all the shrouds. Both sails use an inside track.

Bill Sanborn

Member III
Inner Track

Where is your inner track placed?

Did you install the track yourself? What is used for backing on the inside?

I have had some success using a line with a cunningham hook which I hook over the sheet to pull it in against the lifelines as far as possible. It makes a small but noticeable difference.

Phil Adams

Member I
Grant,

I'd also be interested to know where & how the track is mounted? I'm trying to get the sheeting angles sorted on Trithena at the moment having converted to roller reefing with only the original tracks fitted.

Phil Adams
Trithena
E27

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Inside tracks

Phil,
I added the inside tracks myself with the location given to me by the sailmaker. The sailmaker rep came out and marked the location on the deck. My inside tracks are on the deck (not cabin top which I have heard is done) about 6 inches from the cabin sides beginning just aft of the forward port running back 18" (the length of the track). The track accommodates both my 80 and 95% sails.

The track is through bolted, backed with 1" flat washers and nuts. I had to use a 1 1/4" hole saw on the inner liner so that the washer would make contact with the interior deck surface.

Last edited: