• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 Raritan Compact (older) Fresh Head Conversion

CapnRob85

Member I
Hi All,

I have an older Raritan Compact toilet on my boat, which is a manual pump toilet that is currently not operational (there's a crack in the pump). This existing Raritan has been fitted to the original toilet intake and sink drain thruhulls (dangerous and not allowed for direct discharge, I know). The PO then had a fresh water line gong to the the head sink faucet with a drain line leading into the bilge (because the drain thruhull was connected to the toilet discharge... crazy I know).

For the time being the thruhulls to the current toilet system are closed and it is not being used.

I have installed a pressurized freshwater system on the boat for the galley faucet and sink and would like to use that pressurized system to supply the head sink and toilet if possible, then attach the sink drain to the original thruhull which was designed for this purpose, leaving the original toilet supply intake thruhull closed.

I have read about the Raritan fresh head as the best manual toilet for pressurized water, but I have several questions:

1. Does the Fresh Head conversion kit work for all Raritan manual pump toilets (especially older Compacts)?
2. Does the Fresh Head pump kit do a good job of fully clearing the toilet? Is an electric with macerator a better option to avoid clogging etc. if we are using it for "going number 2"?
3. Does the Fresh Head have any history of contaminating the fresh water supply?
4. I am planning to install a holding tank below water line without any direct discharge option. I have heard of flexible (bag) holding tanks. I am wondering if you have any experience with these? Good/bad? Otherwise I'll probably contact Ronco to see if they have any custom tank options that will fit nicely under my salon seating since that is right next to the head. I have heard others talk about putting the holding tank in the v-berth storage compartment, but there's something about sleeping on sewage that I think my wife will be less on board with (ha!)... If I WERE to install a Ronco tank in the v-berth area, where is the best place to mount the pumpout valve?
5. If I don't have a direct discharge and I'm using pressurized freshwater supply, do I need to install a vented loop? I'm assuming not, since the system would be a fully closed system and there's no siphon/sinking risk.
6. Is there any reason why a holding tank vent manifold should not travel a long way (10 feet) from the tank itself before it mounts on the exterior of the hull?
7. I'm going to be installing a holding tank pumpout valve on the deck of the boat somewhere. Ideally I want the pumpout line to be as short as possible to avoid having a buildup of sewage in the pumpout line, but does this really matter? It would be much more convenient to install the pumpout valve near the stern of the boat away from my rigging etc. Also, what's the best value pumpout valve unit/hardware to purchase?

Thanks a ton in advance for all / any advice!

Thanks,
Rob

Attachments

• IMG_7103.JPEG
    IMG_7103.JPEG
    80.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7104.JPEG
    IMG_7104.JPEG
    75.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

gabriel

Live free or die hard
According to Raritan, the kit works on: PHII, PH, PHC, CPII and CP Model Toilets. The PHC I believe is the compact that our boats were equipped with.

I also like this head for my boat but one thing to note is freshwater capacity, it’s over a gallon of FW each #2 flush. I think it’s a good setup for costal use or short trips.

I wouldn’t worry about it contaminating onboard freshwater anymore than I worry about my home toilet filler contaminating my drinking water.

CapnRob85

Member I
According to Raritan, the kit works on: PHII, PH, PHC, CPII and CP Model Toilets. The PHC I believe is the compact that our boats were equipped with.

I also like this head for my boat but one thing to note is freshwater capacity, it’s over a gallon of FW each #2 flush. I think it’s a good setup for costal use or short trips.

I wouldn’t worry about it contaminating onboard freshwater anymore than I worry about my home toilet filler contaminating my drinking water.
Thanks Gabriel. That’s great to hear ours is likely the PHC and it is compatible. So you have the fresh head installed on your boat and besides the amount of water it uses, you have no complaints?