• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 rusty rudder

dpotter

I and the better half went to look at the E29 under consideration again today. As usual, notice more stuff wrong on the second look. One thing that has me concerned is rust stains on the rudder. The rust appears to be oozing out of small cracks in the rudder, primarily on or around the trailing edge. Any thoughts? Does anyone have info on the original construction of the rudder (materials etc?)

mufflaw

Island Boy
I recently hauled my '75 E27, and noticed the same problem. The boat yard said that my rudder was water loged, and the rust was the SS post that was rusting inside. I couldn't aford the dry storage while the rudder dryed out, so I'm preparing to remove the rudder while the boat is in the water. I will cut it open and dry it out then (hopefuly) glass it back. The big problem will be, how bad is the rudder post rusted. I am told that if the problem is not addressed, it could result in the rudder snaping off at an inopportune time and place! I will try and let you know how it turns out.

ref_123

Member III
Rudder rust

Hi, guys,

sounds bad... I had a delamination in the rudder when we purchased Fire Eater. Wasn't very expensive to fix though, particularly if the boat already sits on the dry. I think it ran well below 1 boat unit :). My 2 cents - if you like the boat, just get the seller to give you a credit for it.

Meanwhile, check the bottom for those Mexican blisters - these may be a real pain to get rid of, and it is expensive, too. If you do not have them - you are lucky :).

Stanly

dpotter

thanks for the info

I'm already planning a pretty low offer based on some other issues (small deck delam, minor bow damage, crunched bow pulpit) so I don't know how much lower I can push it. Bottom seems fine as far as blisters are concerned. I'll probably do a bottom job if I get the boat.

dpotter

Boat is a 1976 supposedly. Don't have the hull number. You can see the listing on Yachtworld.com look for the ericson 29 in Falmouth Maine

ref_123

Member III
YW.com listing

Hmm... Needs a bit of work on the interior, if you ask me :). If the listing is to be believed, mechanical part and sails are in a decent-to-good condition - PO was doing a good job. After all, she is 28 years old, so some dings and scars are to be expected.

If you calculate the price of all the stuff that PO has replaced or upgraded, at this point you may actually be only paying for the engine, electronics and sails, and the rest you get for free. The boat has been listed for at least 3 months, so you seem to have some bargaining power :).

You want to know how we made our purchase decision? After considering over 20 boats, all pros and cons, prices, options, etc, etc, the most important argument was - my wife sat on a port setee in THAT boat and said to me quetly: "This feels like OUR boat"... From there, we went looking for money :). BTW, she was the most expensive boat of all we considered.

Best of luck,
Stanly

SHIP 289

E27 Rudder Problem

I know this post is old, but was wondering if any of the people had finished thier rudder overhaul. I am a adult advisor for a Sea Scout ship and we sail a E27. The rudder has had very similar problems as described here. rust coming from a crack. The rudder has alot of stress cracks and we just pulled her out of the water for the winter here in ohio. We took the rudder off and i have started investigating the cracking. I has stripped a small area were I went thru a couple of areas down thru two white glass layers and to a grayish layer, that seems to be plastic like, lack of a better term. We drilled a couple dozen 1/4" holes and some of the material came out damp to wet. What is the construction of the rudder. My best guess is to strip the layers down to the gray layer make some larger cores into the wet areas, let it dry/ replace the inner core and then west system new glass over the rudder trying to match the origina thickness. Does this sound lke a correct proceedure or does some one have a better direction to go to.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Don Kaspar
SS Ship 289
E27 Random