• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 Sliding Hatch Wanted

Gmilburn

Member III
I'm looking to buy an E-29 Main Sliding Hatch, regardless of condition or shape. I have a woodworking friend that will make me a new one--but wants a template to use as a guide. I hate to lug mine off and on the boat, probably repeatedly, as this woodworker is good, but anything but fast.

I'm hoping there might be one out there salvaged from a damaged boat.

I will pay for packing and shipping.

Email me please at gmilburn@cox.net

davisr

Member III
Just a heads up to everyone that despite the fact that some of the parts on the E23-E29 are apparently the same, the companionway hatches are not, at least when it comes to the E25 and E27. Recently, Walter Pearson, an E27 owner, offered to give away his sea hood to anyone who wanted it. I, and E25 owner, was apparently the only one who expressed an interest. We exchanged emails and measurements, and discovered that the E27 hatch is in fact smaller than the one for the E25.

Roscoe

CapnRob85

Member I
Did anyone find an option for replacement hatches on their E29's? I'm also hoping to find a suitable replacement for my sliding main hatch over the companionway. Thanks!

We will be making a new hatch for my E29 when that happens I will have one available I will keep everyone posted as it is kind of deep on the to do list. Off topic I just shipped my E29 to Seattle from SF And discovered mast head shives were siezed and my prop was broken so my primary goal is to get it in the water then work on cosmetics

kapnkd

kapnkd
I'm looking to buy an E-29 Main Sliding Hatch, regardless of condition or shape. I have a woodworking friend that will make me a new one--but wants a template to use as a guide. I hate to lug mine off and on the boat, probably repeatedly, as this woodworker is good, but anything but fast.

I'm hoping there might be one out there salvaged from a damaged boat.

I will pay for packing and shipping.

Email me please at gmilburn@cox.net

Glory27

We will be making a new hatch for my E29 when that happens I will have one available I will keep everyone posted as it is kind of deep on the to do list. Off topic I just shipped my E29 to Seattle from SF And discovered mast head shives were siezed and my prop was broken so20210118_130331.jpg20210118_130325.jpg my primary goal is to get it in the water then work on cosmetics
I just finished rebuilding the hatch for my e27. Brand new Teak plywood on top layer cut to fit. I wish I had thought to take a before picture. It was really ugly

kapnkd

kapnkd
A couple years back, I managed to find me an E32 II hatch for my ‘73 model off a later model 2. Unfortunately, the crowned curve was slightly higher than that of my old one making it easier to simply restore my original.

So I DO have a now freshly restored 32-2 solid teak hatch that I really can’t use.

I’m now wondering if the 29 & 32 widths and lengths weren’t the same for purposes of part commonality??? The hulls were VERY similar.

I’m interested in now parting with the hatch to regain my purchase ...only thing is that shipping costs may negate the practicality of it all. (I reside in SE Michigan.)

Attachments

• DBF30F18-7803-489C-A3BE-557CD0F43116.jpeg
    DBF30F18-7803-489C-A3BE-557CD0F43116.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 5
  • E489F48F-7CEA-4370-B9C8-A7B528446D9E.jpeg
    E489F48F-7CEA-4370-B9C8-A7B528446D9E.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 5
  • F62B0FC8-86AA-4857-8D4E-2F47D209D4A5.jpeg
    F62B0FC8-86AA-4857-8D4E-2F47D209D4A5.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 6
  • CB6EB3E7-3879-4C86-91C0-B9457AB661C3.jpeg
    CB6EB3E7-3879-4C86-91C0-B9457AB661C3.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 5

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
There are a lot of beautiful hatch restoration and creation projects found in the threads. Kudos to all of the wonderful craftsmanship displayed there.
My E29 came with just a few fragments of the original hatch that I messed around with a bit, then eventually discarded.
Just a couple of (rather self-serving) thoughts:
These hatches appear to be a rather weak link in the boat. If they are in such widespread need of replacement... perhaps the original design is somewhat flawed and alternatives should be considered. i.e. Slavish re-construction of the original pattern might not be the best option.

I find that sail flaking and reefing operations on the E29 quite often involve standing (and stumbling) on the hatch, so it needs pretty robust construction.

Anyway, I opted for a somewhat fugly but strong and easy to build "temporary measure." Then I ended up building a sea hood to match the "temporary" hatch... But the hatch also needs to match up with the drop boards, which need replacing anyway. But oh yeah, someday when I have lots of leisure time there may be time for beauty.
IMG_2501.jpeg

tpcorrigan

Member II
I don't know but I'm guessing that the hatch size is the same as a E27. if that is so I have a hatch that you can have. The top was pretty bad when we got the boat and the first layers on top are now fiberglass but the inside and slider section is all correct. Have no Idea what it would cost to ship but yours for that cost.

klb67pgh

Member III
I have an E30 hatch. I acquired it and have been debating about modifying it to fit my E25, or passing it on and building something for my boat from scratch. I don't know if the E30 and E29 hatches are the same, but I could take some measurements of my E30 hatch for reference. The bottom is painted white. The top has the teak strips that I planned to refinish before selling.