• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 thru hull valve

desdemona

I have to replace one of my cockpit drain 1 1/4 marelon ball valve atached to a thru-hull.
I found a stainless steel ball valve, which seems to be very good. my question is: could I use the stainless steel valve on a brass thru hull or will that cause galvanic corrosion???

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Is the existing thruhull fitting a *bronze* threaded fitting? I would vote for a new Forespar Marlon (tm) or bronze ball valve. I agree that you could get some potential corrosion in a salt water environment using a stainless valve. Did you use the word brass unintentionally? Brass should never be used below the water line. (or in any internal plumbing carrying sea water, either (imho).
Loren
ps: (Please see my short article in the "projects" part of this site for a picture of one of the newer Forespar Marlon seacocks, btw)

desdemona

E29 THRU HULL

Yes I used the word *brass* unintentionally, the threaded thru hull is bronze and I was thinking to install a stainless steel ball valve. Do you think there will be a problem with electrolisis with the two metals??