• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E30+ Cockpit drain below waterline, leave seacock open,?

Epenn

1985 E30+, San Francisco, CA
Hey all, I was looking around at the thruhulls and seacocks today and noticed that I've had the one in the picture open for the last year I've owned the boat. I closed it before taking the picture. It's is a drain for the sink in one direction, but in the other I haven't tracked it down yet. I believe it is likely the cockpit drain. I generally like to keep all thruhulls closed when I'm not using the boat, but if it rains, won't the cockpit stay flooded? Any idea why this would be below waterline? Should I be leaving it open? This is a 1985 30+

Attachments

• IMG_20210725_195649.jpg
    IMG_20210725_195649.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210725_195635.jpg
    IMG_20210725_195635.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 15

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
On our 1984 E30+ I leave that seacock with the sink hose and the port scupper open, and same with the starboard scupper for which the seacock is in a port under the quarterberth cushion. If you close the under sink seacock and the quarterberth scupper seacock, rain water will gradually fill the port scupper hose, and then the sink. It took me a while to figure out why my sink filled, and I've left both scupper hoses open since then. I close all other seacocks when away from the boat. You could close the starboard quarterberth seacock and only leave the port one open so as to drain the cockpit and avoid the sink filling, but the starboard one is inconvenient to get to, so I don't want to open and close it for each sail.
Frank

Epenn

1985 E30+, San Francisco, CA
Cool, thanks. I'll have to be extra diligent about maintaining those thruhulls. Seems a shame they are below waterline.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Most galley sink drains exit below the waterline by virtue of where the galley is located on the boat.

The critical issue for any seacock is the hose, not the seacock. Good hose correctly attached with double hose clamps and you're good to go.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Seems a shame they are below waterline
Not sure about your '85 (30+II) model but I had an issue with the icebox bottom and drain being to close to(at) the waterline. It has it's own thruhull/seacock but didn't drain well and kept regurgitating sea water up into the icebox even sitting at the dock with minimal rocking. I had to keep it closed until I was under sail on a port tack, then I could drain the icebox. I ended up installing a handpump at the galley sink and routing the drain to it, eliminating both issues.

Mike Siegel

Member II
I've thought about routing mine to exit the transom just to clean up hoses running forward to a thru hull . Doesn't really matter where they exit if the sea level is higher than the drains water is gonna come in.