• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E30+ Steering Re-Do help

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
So my maybe new boat looks to have had some repair to the steering in the past. The result is that the cables are too short and the cable clamps are right up against the quadrant. From pics I've seen of other E30+'s there is about 2-3" more cable showing between the quadrant and the first clamp. Not sure why there is tape wrapped on the cable either. Maybe it's ok ?steering.jpg The other issue is the wheel brake knob is just flopping around not fastened to anything. All that being said I think it needs a total redo. Not my boat yet so I can't take anything apart to see if it's the cables or the chain that has been shortened or what's up with the wheel brake. I am trying to figure out the cost to redo the whole system at this point so I can haggle with seller. I know YS is out of business so how do I find parts and pricing? Will Edson brake parts fit on this pedestal ? Thanks, look forward to your replies.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
How old is the boat? Visit the Edson website and price out new cables and brake assembly. Who knows what else you'll find once you take things apart. You also need to check the chain sprocket. The teeth could be damaged. By the time you're done could be in for $500 or much more. Less out of pocket if you're doing your own work.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, from the photo, I;m not sure there's a big issue.

Cables too short

Too short? Does the steering work well? The cable tension is adjusted with that eye bolt, and it looks like there is adjustment available. The tape is probably just covering the frayed cable end at the cable clamps. Fraying of the cable ends is sort of inevitable if the cable is installed in place. Probably the original cables were neatly swaged, but in the many years since, the wire has needed replacement--which means cable clamps.

The loose brake may simply be that somebody unscrewed it too far and it fell apart inside the pedestal. You can deal with that if you get the boat. no big deal.

Edson parts don't work with YS pedestals. But if the steering pedestal on the boat looks sound, isn't corroding away before your eyes, most of us have been able to solve the problems of age without too much trouble.

(All this from seeing one blurry photo--so take with grain of salt)

Last edited:

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
How old is the boat? Visit the Edson website and price out new cables and brake assembly. Who knows what else you'll find once you take things apart. You also need to check the chain sprocket. The teeth could be damaged. By the time you're done could be in for $500 or much more. Less out of pocket if you're doing your own work.
It's a 84 #632

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Well, from the photo, I;m not sure there's a big issue.

Cables too short

Too short? Does the steering work well? The cable tension is adjusted with that eye bolt, and it looks like there is adjustment available. The tape is probably just covering the frayed cable end at the cable clamps. Fraying of the cable ends is sort of inevitable if the cable is installed in place. Probably the original cables were neatly swaged, but in the many years since the wire has needed replacement--which means cable clamps.

The loose brake may simply be that somebody unscrewed it too far and it fell apart inside the pedestal. You can deal with that if you get the boat. no big deal.

Edson parts don't work with YS pedestals. But if the steering pedestal on the boat looks sound, isn't corroding away before your eyes, most of us have been able to solve the problems of age without too much trouble.

(All this from seeing one blurry photo--so take with grain of salt)
Christian, Steering seems to work fine (in its cradle anyway). The pedestal is in very good condition as it's a freshwater boat. Can you still get parts for YS and if so where ?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Very few. The pedestal guard mount--the horizontal plate that holds the guard tubing--is available. But there's not much to break, and if it does a machinist can often fix it. Most of the issues are covered in the forum archives, and by member memory.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Very few. The pedestal guard mount--the horizontal plate that holds the guard tubing--is available. But there's not much to break, and if it does a machinist can often fix it. Most of the issues are covered in the forum archives, and by member memory.
Thanks again, yes I read your YS pedestal disassembly the other day. I'm pretty handy and coupled with your detailed procedure I don't think I could screw it up too bad ! I also liked what you did to fix the damaged teak cabin liner around the windows. This boat will need help in that area too.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
A few additional things. Have you had someone firmly hold the rudder while you move the wheel to check out the "play" in the system? Pull out on the bottom of the wheel and see if there is play in the shaft.