• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-2 Traveler upgrade.

jimw

I am looking for recommendations on updating the traveler on my 1970 e32-2.
I bought the boat this April. The current traveler appears to be original equipment.

I have sailed the boat about 15 times and trimming the main under load is quite a chore. The current method is to wrap the sheet around a winch then "yank and shove" on the traveler.

The main sheeted end boom and the current track is curved and ahead of the wheel. and looks similar to this http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/attachment.php?attachmentid=2206&d=1163962929

sizing, purchase, curved versus straight and cost is among my concerns.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
The best thing is to have Garhauer make you a new traveller. This will likely cost you under $500 and they will custom bend the new to match yours. They will need yours as a pattern. I did just this and the result is great. I will warn you that Garhauer, while making a great product, is not very good at predicting lead times. IIRC, they told be 3-4 weeks and it ended up being 8 and delaying my launch date. You live in Michigan, your season is short, remove the traveller in the fall and send it to them. Plenty of time to get it back before spring. RT

S Ellis

Member I
I have a '69 32-2. the original curved traveller has been replaced with a straight Harken track and car mounted just ahead of the original location. Works great and gives great main control. I'm sure it would be much more economical than having a custom one fabricated.
Steve

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I'm sure it would be much more economical than having a custom one fabricated. Steve

I seriously doubt that. I may have issue with Garhauers quoted delivery times but I never question the quality or the price. They are usually MUCH cheaper than Harken. IIRC, they didn't charge extra for the custom bend in my traveller, just the regular price, which was cheaper than Harken, Schaeffer, Lewmar, etc. And then there is the product itself. It's quite simply bulletproof. Overbuilt is an understatement. I think you could pick the whole boat up with the unit I have. Its also very simple. Remove traveller, ship to Garhauer, receive new traveller, install it. Mine was a bolt on deal. Garhauer made the correct brackets to attach to the existing holes in my boat. No re-engineering of anything, bolt it on and go. RT

Matey

Member III
I also went with Garhauer .. and after hearing stories of delayed delivery, I lied and asked for it in 2 weeks, but got it in 4 or 5. That worked. I had seen their traveler at the Oakland show.
I measured up what I wanted. A straight track that bridged the cockpit. Guido at Garhauer did the calculations from my rig dimensions & sail area and advised me on the car & track size, hole / bolt sizes and spacing for the load.
I looked at Harken's and it's very nice. I like the ability to sheet up the cockpit side if you choose to. But it's real pricey.
I had Guido cut the track cut shorter based on the angle to the lifelines and my desire to be able to step outboard the track when changing helmsman. I decided a straight track might make for easier adjustments and pull the tackle away from the pedestal and controls a bit.
When I pulled my old traveler I had the pedestal out as well. I cut out a fair amount of rot on the bridge deck and epoxied in some marine ply and filled all the old holes. I also added large stainless backing plates and fender washers when I mounted the new track. That sucker is going nowhere.
I've been happy overall. But the slack side line does jamb up a bit. I've toyed with both single and double lines .. but like the single.

Regards, Greg

Attachments

• 2 091.jpg
    2 091.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 694.jpg
    694.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 84

paul culver

Member III
I am looking for recommendations on updating the traveler on my 1970 e32-2.
I bought the boat this April. The current traveler appears to be original equipment.

I have sailed the boat about 15 times and trimming the main under load is quite a chore. The current method is to wrap the sheet around a winch then "yank and shove" on the traveler.

The main sheeted end boom and the current track is curved and ahead of the wheel. and looks similar to this http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/attachment.php?attachmentid=2206&d=1163962929

sizing, purchase, curved versus straight and cost is among my concerns.

I have the same set up on my E29 but I never trim it under load. I release the main sheet, reset the traveler by hand, and then trim the main sheet. The boom bounces around a lot while you are doing this but it doesn't take long. You might want to give it a try and save a lot of $.

--Paul

steven

Sustaining Member
traveler on E35-2

I have a Harken traveler on my E35-2, which should be similar to E32-2. Straight track. Was on it when I got her, so don't know the cost.

Works fine. Has been trouble free and controllable under load.

(from your pictures, looks like you have original factory setup)

--Steve

Attachments

• Whisper Traveler 2.jpg
    Whisper Traveler 2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Whisper Traveler 1.jpg
    Whisper Traveler 1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 68

jimw

Greg,

That looks like a nice setup. Very nice looking coming boards too!

So you like a 3:1 or 2:1 purchase better than a 4:1 ?

Is your track completely supported? I have a clearance issue with the binnacle.

The original track leaves 3/4" clearance from the binnacle. Not much room for a traveler car. That would limit me to a spanning track on Lewmar or Harken. An curved Garhauer may clear. Even a straight track Garhauer fully supported may clear the binnacle. I have tried to talk to Guido but he is out or busy when I call.

I was down at the boat yesterday and measured, but forgot to measure the open span in the cockpit, where the traveler may be unsupported. Any one by chance have this measurement handy?

windjunkee

Member III
Sorry for just catching up.

I have a 1970 32-2 also. I went with Garhauer. I had them custom make the traveller and track to match the arc on the bulkhead between cockpits. It took them a while and they had to redo the track once, but it has worked great ever since.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason, E-32-2 Hull Number 134
Redondo Beach, CA