• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-3 battery size

sharonov

Member II
Currently I have two group 24 batteries in the original battery box with little space to spare. Manual says there should be two 105Ah batteries in there. I do not beleive I can get more than about 80Ah from group 24 meaning the box is supposed to accept larger batteries. Christian mentioned group 27 in one of the posts. After measuring the box I think I have a 50/50 chance of fitting group 27 in there. At least if BCI specified dimensions are correct. Considering how hard it is to find additional battery space on E32-3 I would like to load the box with largest baddest batteries possible. Well, maybe not LiFePO4 (yet). Comments?

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Obviously it depends on a lot of factors; use of boat, budget, Etc. I have 2 group 24 lead acid batteries in my 85 E32/3. My manual says it came with two 80 amp hour batteries. I think mine are 85 amp hours each. I have a similar battery in the engine compartment for starting.

My perhaps unorthodox solution was to keep the original batteries and buy a Honda generator. For a thousand bucks, I have AC and DC power and a recharge anytime I need it. It stores nicely in the galley in front of the stove. I can still open the door to the thru-Hulls in the adjacent cabinet with it stored there. It has a sealable vented cap, so there are never any gas fumes. And it runs for up to eight hours on a gallon of gas.

This solution has been working well for me.

sharonov

Member II
Aha! So we can deduce Ericson built E32-3 battery box two ways: for group 24 and for group 27. Looks like in my case there is a mismatch between the manual and the box and I should not be obsessed with trying to stuff it with larger batteries. Thanks.
I thought about generator. Tempting but there is not that much space on E32 and I do not want to carry gas on board if I do not have to.
Same as you, I have an extra reserve battery in starboard lazaret wired to battery switch. Not the most elegant solution but I am fresh out of elegant ideas where else to put it .

sharonov

Member II
Here are 2 Group 27s in a 1985 E32-3 battery box. Tight fit at the ends but it works.
Thanks. Maybe I will be able to go up the size to group 27 after all. BCI says 12 1/16" length for group 27. A 12" fuller does not fit in the box by a smidgen but then it is slightly longer then 12".

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thinking a bit outside the (battery) box, you might want to sleuth out a new place for an additional battery.
Many years ago I built a box to fit under our aft cabin berth that holds (up to) a size 31. I used 1/4" ply and epoxy. I fastened it to some support structure under the berth top. There was no room to allow for adding water to it, so it is an AGM type.

The current battery is a spiral cell design and has been providing emergency/starting power for over a decade.
Our boat appears to have a bit more battery compartment height room than the E-32, so the factory location for a pair of group 24's nowadays holds two GC batteries, and that's our main house bank.

Last edited:

sharonov

Member II
No, I did not get grp 27 batteries. I know other ppl managed to squeeze them into their battery box but I measured it more then once and checked battery manufacturer's specs and it seems my box is just a tiny bit too short. So... I am installing 8 x CAM72FI. That should give me nearly 144 usable Ah in space of one grp 24/27 battery as well as better charging efficiency. Will post details once I am done. For now, all I can say is "don't do it". At least not until all the repercussions of LiFePO4 technology are understood.
Regards,
Sergei

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Relevant thread as I consider a battery system upgrade. My two Group 24s look to be held in place via little plywood strips in the battery box, which leads me to think they were "undersized" for the space. I bet Group 27s would fit.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Sergei - that is an unexpected turn! Geoff - let me know if you fit 27s in there!
Thanks

Last edited:

sharonov

Member II
I have two group-27s in Makana (32-III). They're a little taller than the battery box, so the lid sits proud about 1/2", bit width and length, they fit fine.
Hmm.. This is strange. According to batteryweb both group 24 and 27 are 8.9" (or 8 7/8) high. I wonder if the battery terminal fuse makes the lid sit proud. I hope there is a spacer there and the lid does not actually push on the terminal.

Now, checking actual manufacturing specs:
Lifeline GPL27-T: HEIGHT IN (MM) 9.25 (234.8)
Deka 8A27: Height: 9 7/8 in.
Trojan 27-AGM: Height 9.32 (237)

Guess not all BCI group 27 batteries are created the same height. I also see that length spec varies a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer. Maybe handles add variation?

Sergei