• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-3 compared to catalina 30-2

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
As the owner of a 32-3 on the Chesapeake who looked at a lot of Cat 30s before buying . . .

The Cat 30 is a nice boat and the tall mast deep keel versions can be pretty fast. The average depth of the Bay is five feet so I avoided anything deeper than that. I also avoided wing keels because of the inevitable grounding in mud. If looking at Cat30 shoal drafts then consider also the Pearsons as those are a bit more solid and have a 4.5 ft draft version. There are also a number of Beneteau First 30s IF you are not tall, because at 6' I found the berths a bit short. There are a lot of Hunters around too, but they were such a step down I ruled them out early. There are always some of each for sale on the Bay. The interiors of all those are not as dark as the Ericson which to me is a positive. However they are more minimal and the systems are too, so they very much feel like a used RV. As you found, Cat30 parts are extremely easy to find.

There is definitely less space inside of a 30 than in the 32 because those 2 feet come out of the salon. The newer Cat30s with the wider quarter berth have more space aft but in all these boats that area is called "the garage." Drop the table and the E32 could theoretically sleep two forward, three in the main salon, and two small people/kids in the quarter. However, none of the 30-32 foot boats would be fun with that many people trying to sleep aboard. Four adults for a weekend or two parents and three kids would be easy on any of them.

The Cat30 and Pearson were high volume production boats and since they were made after Ericson closed shop, you can find newer ones at good prices. However, after 15-20 years old you are looking at either replaced systems or worn out systems for any of your choices. A tired looking early Cat30 is something to avoid like the plague with their keel/step/hull-smile issues but the later ones are functional boats to have fun on with the family. To me they are just extremely "vanilla" or plain and by comparison everything in the Ericson is more solid and rugged.

The Ericson 32-3 shoal draft version is 5 ft, not 6 like the deep keel versions and they are lead keels, not rusting iron. Where the interior of the Cat30 is RV-ish, everything about the Ericson feels like old craftsman woodwork and actual yacht systems. While veneer is used in the Ericson, it is on heavy plywood. The Cats and Hunters have a lot of particle board. Pull a drawer out in each to look at how they are made because the hidden systems are going to follow the theme.

The E32-3 has a keel stepped mast, so no worries about mast supports or deck stepping issues. The Ericson hull is MUCH more solid. Rap on the hull along the waterline of each with some solid piece of plastic (don't let an owner see you pull out a hammer) and you can hear how much more solid the Ericson is. Or simply pull the interior inspection plates behind the settees to look at how much light comes through the hull as that's an indication of hull thickness. The thickness of my hull at the forward transducer and where the head discharges are a solid 3/4" lay-up PLUS it has an additional 1/4" of fiberglass where the interior liner called the TAFG is bonded to it below the head. I'm not worried about putting a hole in the boat.
20200305_181818-X3.jpg

TAGF.jpg
The downside of the Ericson (and the others if a similar year) is their age. While everything is easily available and there are no surprises they are 30+ year old boats so you either pay more for one which has been updated or you pay in money and time to do things yourself. While there are some beautiful updated boats that need nothing, part of why I bought this boat was to be a retirement project and I only paid the Kingly price of $5,000. Yes everything worked but there's a lot of 35 year old stuff (hoses, wiring, etc) that I'm replacing so I'm currently into it for more than double that as expected. The point is that I started with "good bones" and knew going in that this was the direction I wanted.

If I just wanted a Bay day sailor with growing kids around, do minimal work, and maybe someday go down the ICW to the Bahamas, I may have gone with a Pearson, Catalina, or even a Hunter. I did come very very close to buying a Pearson. My friends with Catalinas (30 and 36) are very happy with their boats and they feel like they are part of a big community, doing regular raft-ups and such. Cool beans.

Even if I never get to do it like originally planned due to COVID restrictions and new grand-baby coming, I want the ability to spend weeks or even months aboard. I want a floating summer get-away to nestle in the reeds on the Eastern Shore. Having worked on the open ocean I knew that I wanted something that could take a pounding coming around Cape Hattaras if it had to. I don't plan to sail to Hawaii like Christian but would not like to trust that trip to the lighter built and equipped boats.

Plus the Ericson has pretty lines and I'd rather spend time in her richer wood interior.

Last edited:

Scandium

As the owner of a 32-3 on the Chesapeake who looked at a lot of Cat 30s before buying . . .

The Cat 30 is a nice boat and the tall mast deep keel versions can be pretty fast. The average depth of the Bay is five feet so I avoided anything deeper than that. I also avoided wing keels because of the inevitable grounding in mud. If looking at Cat30 shoal drafts then consider also the Pearsons as those are a bit more solid and have a 4.5 ft draft version. There are also a number of Beneteau First 30s IF you are not tall, because at 6' I found the berths a bit short. There are a lot of Hunters around too, but they were such a step down I ruled them out early. There are always some of each for sale on the Bay. The interiors of all those are not as dark as the Ericson which to me is a positive. However they are more minimal and the systems are too, so they very much feel like a used RV. As you found, Cat30 parts are extremely easy to find.

There is definitely less space inside of a 30 than in the 32 because those 2 feet come out of the salon. The newer Cat30s with the wider quarter berth have more space aft but in all these boats that area is called "the garage." Drop the table and the E32 could theoretically sleep two forward, three in the main salon, and two small people/kids in the quarter. However, none of the 30-32 foot boats would be fun with that many people trying to sleep aboard. Four adults for a weekend or two parents and three kids would be easy on any of them.

The Cat30 and Pearson were high volume production boats and since they were made after Ericson closed shop, you can find newer ones at good prices. However, after 15-20 years old you are looking at either replaced systems or worn out systems for any of your choices. A tired looking early Cat30 is something to avoid like the plague with their keel/step/hull-smile issues but the later ones are functional boats to have fun on with the family. To me they are just extremely "vanilla" or plain and by comparison everything in the Ericson is more solid and rugged.

Thanks for the extensive response! Lots of great info to think about.

My current boat is already 30 years old, so familiar with that. But it has an outboard and porta-potti, so avoided the major issues of engine and plumbing.. That would be a learning curve. Unfortunately staying in my price range I couldn't get a different brand that's really that much newer anyway. C30s can go for a tad cheaper, but there are a lot of badly kept ones too.

See a lot of Pearsons for sale, and I've heard they're great boats, but I don't love the styling on them, especially not the late 80 disco/pastel thing.. The 31-2 does look intriguing.

There is actually decent looking, repowered, E32 for sale in Deale now. Though it might be yours, but see the name is different, and you're not selling ;) Was thinking of going to take a look at some point, when allowed. Without telling the seller I'm not buying yet.. Hopefully there are others locally when I am ready. See quite a few in CA and great lakes, which is not really an option. Since I have a boat I'll be able to still sail while taking my time to find the right specimen.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I liked goldenstate's Camry analogy. Lot's of people drive Camrys--it's a great car for a couple+kids, and you trade it in when you're done with it. Probably not many people buy one with the intention of refitting it, customizing it to their own personal preferences, and possibly keeping it forever.

If it's mainly about "family time," and having a fun activity to do with the kids, maybe buy a Catalina in great shape, work on it as little as possible, maximize the fun/family time out on the water, and trade the boat in on a new one (or sell it) when you're done.

If, instead, you're looking for a "labor of love," you already said more than once that the Ericson appeals to you more than the Catalina. If you think you might like to spend days re-wiring the electrical system and weeks re-finishing the cockpit sole, then that time is best spent on a boat you really love. Chances are worse than 50:50, however, that the wife and kids will get that same enjoyment from boat maintenance/improvement projects. And then, there is the question of all that time and money devoted to a "labor of love."

A "family" decision might yield a different result than a "personal" preference.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One caveat, if I may. ANY boat over about 25 or 30 years old will need re-wiring and re-plumbing. Unless the buyer is "Smarter than the Average Bear" and finds a restored and maintained boat that costs more up front but is actually in sail-away condition.
Believe me, I do know what it takes in Time and Money to keep up all of the 'preventative maintenance' projects on several boats we have owned. It's always less expensive in the long run to pay more for an up-to-date boat.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Thanks for the extensive response! Lots of great info to think about.

My current boat is already 30 years old, so familiar with that. But it has an outboard and porta-potti, so avoided the major issues of engine and plumbing.. That would be a learning curve. Unfortunately staying in my price range I couldn't get a different brand that's really that much newer anyway. C30s can go for a tad cheaper, but there are a lot of badly kept ones too.

See a lot of Pearsons for sale, and I've heard they're great boats, but I don't love the styling on them, especially not the late 80 disco/pastel thing.. The 31-2 does look intriguing.

There is actually decent looking, repowered, E32 for sale in Deale now. Though it might be yours, but see the name is different, and you're not selling ;) Was thinking of going to take a look at some point, when allowed. Without telling the seller I'm not buying yet.. Hopefully there are others locally when I am ready. See quite a few in CA and great lakes, which is not really an option. Since I have a boat I'll be able to still sail while taking my time to find the right specimen.

I just started typing and it got a bit lengthy, which was fun to put some thoughts together.

The boat in Rock Hall is a 1970 original Ericson 32 for $5,000 and reading into the ad the current owner has put a lot of money in yet it still needs serious updates. Since you have growing kids, I'd suggest avoiding it. What I wrote is valid for the 32-3 like mine which began production in 1985 or the later 32-200.

As Lauren wrote, with a family I'd be willing to spend much more to not spend so much time away, especially with a full time job. If careful going in, you should be able to regain at least most of that when you sell.

Scandium

I just started typing and it got a bit lengthy, which was fun to put some thoughts together.

The boat in Rock Hall is a 1970 original Ericson 32 for $5,000 and reading into the ad the current owner has put a lot of money in yet it still needs serious updates. Since you have growing kids, I'd suggest avoiding it. What I wrote is valid for the 32-3 like mine which began production in 1985 or the later 32-200.

As Lauren wrote, with a family I'd be willing to spend much more to not spend so much time away, especially with a full time job. If careful going in, you should be able to regain at least most of that when you sell.
I was thinking of this one, an 87 32-3 for $30k.

Unfortunatly I'd like to keep my little boat a few more years. I love the simple systems, the laughably easy single-handling with whiney kids on board, the tiller steering, the cheap slip etc etc

Scandium

I liked goldenstate's Camry analogy. Lot's of people drive Camrys--it's a great car for a couple+kids, and you trade it in when you're done with it. Probably not many people buy one with the intention of refitting it, customizing it to their own personal preferences, and possibly keeping it forever.

If it's mainly about "family time," and having a fun activity to do with the kids, maybe buy a Catalina in great shape, work on it as little as possible, maximize the fun/family time out on the water, and trade the boat in on a new one (or sell it) when you're done.

If, instead, you're looking for a "labor of love," you already said more than once that the Ericson appeals to you more than the Catalina. If you think you might like to spend days re-wiring the electrical system and weeks re-finishing the cockpit sole, then that time is best spent on a boat you really love. Chances are worse than 50:50, however, that the wife and kids will get that same enjoyment from boat maintenance/improvement projects. And then, there is the question of all that time and money devoted to a "labor of love."

A "family" decision might yield a different result than a "personal" preference.

No matter which boat I buy I wouldn't be able to avoid tweaking and customizing with endless projects. I have a mental illness called "engineer" with no know cure.. I enjoy the research, fixing, upgrading (within reason, I do have a life and want to actually sail). But I definitley don't want a "throw-away" boat, nor a project. I would want to spend a bit more $ so it's ready to sail, but also tweak to my preferences.

Last edited:

beachologist

Member I
Dear Scandium,
You repeatedly mention a willingness/desire for a boat that feels better/nice to sail. I own a 35-2, have sailed on a 32-3 and C-30. The Ericsons all feel better/nicer to sail. They look better too.

Scandium

We live in a world of "compromises". Marriage involves compromise, raising kids, picking a career (sometimes), buying a sailboat, etc. There is no doubt in my mind that a E32 is far superior to a C30 and I won't go into the many reasons because they've all been covered here already for the most part. But if you just want a "kick around" kind of boat that you can bring the family on and get some relative enjoyment out of then buy a C30 if you think that's the answer. You'll find out fairly quickly if it's the fit for you and your family and if you don't mind the compromises you made. If it turns out the be the wrong decision, then sell it and buy something else. Maybe an E-32 next time. In the meantime keep looking and if you want maybe you can get aboard an E32 to take a harder look at them. You're welcome to come aboard mine (my boat is in Annapolis) and go for a sail, get behind the helm. (Although, who knows when we'll be able to sail these days). I can tell you this. There hasn't been a single day that I've regretted buying my E32-3 (1987) and I've not looked to "buying up" (Although an E-38 looks appealing) and it will go faster then some other boats on the bay that are larger. Now that may be because of poor seamanship on the other boat or the E-32 is just a faster boat, built from the outside in. It doesn't matter that much because my wife and I are cruisers and not racers but it's still a good feeling to go faster.

Thanks for the kind offer! Don't think I'd feel comfortable imposing on someone else's boat, but good to confirm that others are enjoying the E32 on the chessie! And if you decide you need couple extra feet in a few years maybe I'd be in a position to take the 32 of your hands ;)

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Thanks for the kind offer! Don't think I'd feel comfortable imposing on someone else's boat, but good to confirm that others are enjoying the E32 on the chessie! And if you decide you need couple extra feet in a few years maybe I'd be in a position to take the 32 of your hands ;)

Well, the offer is still out there if you want to take advantage of it. Boat was launched today after bottom work was completed. We LOVE our E32 so so might have a long wait before it goes up for sale but if it does this web site is where you’ll hear about it first.