• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-3 Emergency Tiller Specs

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ericson 32-3 emergency tiller.jpg

Both the rudder post extension and the crossbar are 40" long 1/8th" wall aluminum tubes.

The post extension has an outside diameter of 2 and 3/8ths. The crossbar ("tiller") diameter is 1 and 1/2".

The slot in the post tube is 6" long, declining in width from 3/4" to 1/2".

E32-3 emergency tiller cutout .jpg

This rig makes a direct connection to the rudder, and supersedes the wheel steering system (if the rudder is free to move).

The aft-facing tiller can be steered in fair comfort from the stern seats. It would be easy to rig tackles to set the rudder for any course.

The slot in the post extension drops over the bolt through the radial disk below decks and makes a suitably firm connection.

If making a replacement, note that the disk bolt may not be perpendicular when the rudder is amidships.

On my tubing, for example, the through-hole for the crossbar is about 30 degrees off the slot in order that the tiller faces aft when the rudder is centered.

E32-3 tiller and post extension.jpg

Last edited:

gulfcoaster

Member III
Emergency Tiller Surprise

I inventoried our boat 14 yrs ago. I found the emergency tiller still in the factory sealed bag. We are the fourth owners. I pulled it out and tried it and discovered the post was the same diameter as the fitting in the deck. it was totally worthless. We had a new one made and have not had to use it...YET!

GregB

Member II
Thanks!

I may even be able to fabricate one of those. Item 416 on my list. I must say I am feeling a little overwhelmed by the project list at this point!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Overwhelmed

Here is the justification: each day we get older, but each day our boat gets younger.

What other of our actions affects the universe in such a way?

GregB

Member II
Found it!

The prior owner found the emergency clam gun when I upped the search fee to two bottles of hooch. I think he was holding out...

Thanks for all the measurements though - could save someone's butt if they need / make one!