• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-3 fuel tank dimensions

mordust

Member II
Anyone know the fuel tank dimensions on the 32-3?
Particularly the height at the deeper section forward and inboard.
I am looking at a Beta 25, and the vendor suggested I may not need to
use an electric fuel pump, depending on how high the engine pump needs to lift fuel.
Any other input would be appreciated as well.
Bob

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I would measure yours to be sure. While there are "standard" sizes per model they did change sometimes during the production run. I have found that out when asking others for tank dimensions for my model. I know nothing about Beta engines or their fuel pumps but having an electric pump is a blessing for bleeding or servicing the fuel system IMHO. They're fairly inexpensive and you won't need to worry about fuel supply or pressure.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We have a 32-3 in our club with a Betamarine25 re-power, but I do not know if they kept the electric lift pump.
I did, when replacing our old M25XP, and this makes bleeding the fuel thru the filters and lines easier. I have pix in my blog.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I just installed a fuel sender in my 55-gallon E38 tank, and found the max depth of the tank to be 19-20". My guess is yours is no more than that.

To get the precise number, just remove the fuel gauge sender and put a measuring stick down.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Funny, I happen to have a 32-3 fuel tank sitting in my garage, awaiting re-installation. Just don't ask how long it's been there.

The depth from low edge of the tank to midpoint of the fuel barb is 15". The suction tube doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the tank so total lift (just considering the tank) is probably about 14.5"

Even if this is within Beta's specs, I'd also consider that fuel pump has to suck fuel through a primary filter and push it through a secondary (even more so if either is clogged). Unless the Beta has it's own pump for priming/bleeding, bleeding air out of fuel lines (say, after a filter change) would be more difficult without an electric pump . Would require continued cranking to turn the engine pump, which might fill the water-lift muffler, which might require draining the muffler to prevent cooling water backflow into the valves & cylinders, which would be a bad thing.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My 5432 has an add-on electric pump just for priming after filter change. Used only for that, since my version of the engine runs on a mechanical pump.