• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

[E32-3] Stress Fractures under Stern Cleats

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
In today's episode of deferred maintenance, some stress cracks under my stern cleats have developed into something a bit more than such. It appears that some significant stress is not being handled well by the glass underneath my stern cleats. This seems obviously more advanced than just standard gelcoat stress cracks/crazing.

What sort of repair am I looking at from a DIY perspective? Dremelling out the area and filling it with epoxy / re-coating it doesn't seem like enough to stop what's currently going on. I could try to add a new layer of glass from underneath and increase the backing plate size of the cleats, but will that be enough either?

Appears that either way, pulling that back section of wood off may be necessary, if not the entire rubrail. Any thoughts on this?

1582564213993.png
1582564231613.png

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Aw, that's just gel coat, isn't it?

I'd just fill with Martine Tex epoxy, cosmetic repair.

To confirm nothing big going on, examine the backing plates for the stern cleats. The fiberglass may look factory-rough under there, but you'll be able to see any significant changes or injury to the transom joint.

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Aw, that's just gel coat, isn't it?

I'd just fill with Martine Tex epoxy, cosmetic repair.

I'd be pretty happy if it was, but my favorite hobby lately is boat-paranoia. I guess what I don't know is what's actually going on inside here:

1582565127561.png

Looks like whatever the top layer of glass adheres to has cracked away underneath? Or never existed?

JSM

Member III
I agree with Christian. Look at the underside (if you can) if its cracked all the way thru lay on some glass on the inside and repair the outside. Otherwise you can just clean up the areas with a dremel and fill with the goo of your choice. I like epoxy and microballons for cosmetic stuff as it sands down easily.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Geoff,
I'm wondering if there might have been a minor boat collision somewhere, as there also seems to be a scuff mark, along with the cracking. Either way, add a layer of fibreglass on the inside if possible, remove any loose material on the outside and repair cosmetically. If it was stress on the cleats, I would expect to see cracks coming right off from under that cleat, but this looks different to me. Checking your cleats and adding backing plates is still a good idea. :)
Frank

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Might make sense. A lot of the bottom edge of my transom has chunks missing from it as well, but I figured that was someone dragging it along a dock or some other docking impact. Not sure what would've hit both sides of the boat right there, unless it was another boat sometime in the past. Or maybe an impact to the transom would be enough to cause damage on both sides in the corner there? It does have a lot of "Shape" in that spot.

I swear these impacts aren't mine... I've never hit the dock unless I meant to, and if I meant to, the dock must've deserved it......... ;)