• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-3 Survey crowdsource comments please

GregB

Member II
Gurus:

We are getting a pre-purchase survey survey done later this week on a 1987 E32-3. The surveyor who is aware of this wonderful community very astutely commented: "As I'm sure you have studied the Ericson owners site and blogs in great depth, please advise (or send me links) to any known problem areas of this model you would particularly like me to check during the survey." I already like this guy!

Christian got us off to a good start based on his superb work on Theloneus:

--Pedestal, engine controls on the pedestal, steering linkages, radial (quadrant), steering cable sheaves. It is fairly common for the base of the aluminum pedestal to suffer very bad corrosion, which is not an easy fix. If the steering system is by Yacht Specialties/Merriman, they are long out of business and parts are scarce. If it;s a YS pedestal, the wheel nut probably says "YS".

--Rudder tube and packing gland. The tube houses the rudder post. The packing gland sits on top of it and prevents water entering under power or sail. The bronze gland should make a good seal with the tube. A leak there only occurs while under way, notably when under power at 6 knots. Check this after you return from the sea trial. Remove engine compartment siding and crawl head first into the after berth.

--Main Hatches, opening ports and fixed lights (glass windows). If original the hatches are probably crazed--replacements are expensive if you cant live with the old ones.. Check the veneer under and around the other portholes and windows. If the veneer is discolored or wet or crumbling the ports leak and need to be removed and rebedded, and possibly replaced.

--Cabin sole (meaning the cabin floor). Expect varnished teak and holly plywood installed in several sections. Can this be refinished or is it ruined? If ruined, tends to be expensive to replace.

--Cushions and upholstery. The originals may well still be fine, or may have been replaced with new by now. But unacceptable cushions/foam is a very expensive deal, and there are about 15 cushios on the boat.

--Diesel. There are several upgrades due this era of boat. The new type alternator bracket goes under the alternator--the old one goes over it. Under mean an upgrade was accomplished. In the cockpit, see if there is an ammeter next to the tachometer. If so, there is a wiring fix due in the future. These and other electrical upgrades are not a big deal, but will wind up on your list if you become owner. It would be nice to hear the surveyor say, "lots of electrical upgrades on this boat."

Thank you in advance. We want this boat, but we want to go into it with our eyes open and a realistic idea of major projects.

Any and all other thoughts and comments are welcome!

I promise that I will become less needy, more fun and pay it forward once I get a little more experience! :tongue:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Welcome aboard Greg!

Since we had a survey done on ours a few years ago, I can remember some of the items pointed out:

Check the keel / hull join for separation (smile)
Check for cracks around rudder
Is it the original transmission, if it is and has high hours you are probably going to have to replace it. Check for any leaks around the rear of tranny.
How are the sanitation hoses? If permeated with foul smell, they'll need replaced.
Old manual bilge pumps need rebuilding?
Rudder deck plate bolts, are they tight or loose?

Im sure you'll love her, these are wonderful boats for sure!
Rick

ref_123

Member III
I might add deck core issues in the proximity of dorade in front of the mast, including side decks. Not a huge issue if there is a problem, but a negotiation point. Also, check for the soundness of the rudder structure. Again, if core shows damage, it's not a biggie, but a way to ask for a credit.

Basically, if you have a hull that is watertight, a mast that is not going to fall down, and an engine/transmission that is not falling apart when started, everything else is just a reason to haggle over an extra B.O.A.T. unit or two :).

Regards,
Stan

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Check the shaft strut for looseness. Tightening it can be an expensive or time consuming messy job. Many 80s vintage Ericsons have had this problem.

GregB

Member II
Survey looked great

Thank you all for your comments - We had a really long and detailed survey yesterday with special attention paid to all of the areas you pointed out - we are waiting for the written report, but we are heading towards a "yes". The PO was very thoughtful and careful in what he did to Midwatch over the years, and he clearly was proud of the boat. (Single owner since new!) There is, of course, plenty to do, including some of the upgrades mentioned in this thread, but the hull and deck are sound, the standing and running rigging all looks good and the engine seems "age appropriate" (May need a few this-es and thats... to be up to snuff, but nothing too major.)

Once we pull the trigger, I am going to be leaning on you-all quite a bit for advice and help. I think I already mad my first mistake... Since she was out, I put new zincs on the prop shaft (even though I don't yet own the boat). Of course once it was back in the water I read that I should have put magnesium on since it is moored in fresh water. I Should have asked my maintenance gurus!! Small mistake - but still!

Hopefully it will be fun for you and not too frustrating for me. I know... include pictures!:egrin: