• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-3 Survey & questions

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I don't think it's all that unusual. These boats are 35 years old. Several examples of boats I looked at had similar looking cracks. Only a problem if the crack goes all the way to the wood core.

Again, it might help to go look at other boats. Any time you're working with a field of "one," it's hard to discern what is unusual versus what it common for 35 year old boats.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 20
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 20

TLEO

Student of Life
I don't think it's all that unusual. These boats are 35 years old. Several examples of boats I looked at had similar looking cracks. Only a problem if the crack goes all the way to the wood core.

Again, it might help to go look at other boats. Any time you're working with a field of "one," it's hard to discern what is unusual versus what it common for 35 year old boats.

We have looked at a few Ericson's so far, we have three others lined up for the next few weeks. We just happen to like this boat and as much as we want to walk away, she keeps calling us back.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
We have looked at a few Ericson's so far, we have three others lined up for the next few weeks. We just happen to like this boat and as much as we want to walk away, she keeps calling us back.

Great. That is similar to how I bought my boat. I first looked at it in April and knew I liked it but didn't want to transport it from out of state. By July, after viewing two other E323s, several C&Cs, and two Canadian Sailcrafts, I knew there was no "perfect" boat out there. All had their problems or drawbacks. Viewing other boats made the problem of transporting a boat I liked seem less onerous, so I bought the original one.

Also, pick the battles you don't mind fighting: I don't mind engine work but I'd absolutely hate the idea of re-coring a rotten deck. Some have spent $6K on new cushions while others purchase fabric and a sewing machine.

Last edited:

TLEO

Student of Life
This is what the surveyor taped off on the deck at the chain locker, the cabin/v berth has no apparent water intrusion

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 20

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I had a similar crack in the bow section. I ground it out and reglassed it. Hopefully it’s secure for now. The boat shows evidence of a former collision, well hidden now under paint and fairing. I imagine the cracks were a part of that event. This one may be similar?

Attachments

• E4F63385-A65C-4506-B12F-3C62CCDC3833.jpeg
    E4F63385-A65C-4506-B12F-3C62CCDC3833.jpeg
    302.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 3DCE0B56-1911-4772-86CF-A9AD5EBB56F3.jpeg
    3DCE0B56-1911-4772-86CF-A9AD5EBB56F3.jpeg
    355.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 8103B45B-65BA-4B56-A621-C0B91B74667D.jpeg
    8103B45B-65BA-4B56-A621-C0B91B74667D.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 20

TLEO

Student of Life
I had a similar crack in the bow section. I ground it out and reglassed it. Hopefully it’s secure for now. The boat shows evidence of a former collision, well hidden now under paint and fairing. I imagine the cracks were a part of that event. This one may be similar?
that is an impressive crack. Fingers crossed it is a cosmetic fix for us. It is another thing that seems to have been omitted from our report.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
None of the important issues I found were mentioned by they surveyor... The true extent of the crack was hidden by the gelcoat and I was surprised when excavation began.

jtsai

Member III
My new (very new) to me 1990 32-3 Coast Guard document states the hull (#760) was built in Tiajuana, Mexico and completed in Irvine CA. The plate is probably like yours but have not paid attention. My prior boat was Sabre 28 MkIII, I have to say I am impressed with this Ericson.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Some years ago a site member was going to cast bronze replacements that we could each buy. The idea made it into the tooling stage, but then was shelved for logistical reasons.
Several members have posted pix of their '89 -'90 examples from EY, including one Olson. I do not recall any of those having a line about "Mexico" tho. Maybe I just overlooked it.
Given that the major parts to construct my boat came from all over the world, I would just settle for the (former) Irvine, California company address. And of course the helmet and horns!
:egrin:

TLEO

Student of Life
Some years ago a site member was going to cast bronze replacements that we could each buy. The idea made it into the tooling stage, but then was shelved for logistical reasons.
Several members have posted pix of their '89 -'90 examples from EY, including one Olson. I do not recall any of those having a line about "Mexico" tho. Maybe I just overlooked it.
Given that the major parts to construct my boat came from all over the world, I would just settle for the (former) Irvine, California company address. And of course the helmet and horns!
:egrin:
we have a Monday & Friday set of Helmet n Horns :egrin: horns 2.jpg horns 1.jpg

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
No Mexico plate, but my hull was also fabricated in TJ. My understanding is that production was moved south of the border due to increasing environmental regulation in the late 1980's. The hulls were then brought North for fitting out.

I'm sure someone here can say a great deal more, but the methods for laying up the glass employed in the 1980's involved a lot of Volatile Organic Compound glue-huffing for employees and stuff released into the atmosphere. California made it more or less impossible to make fiberglass boats this way in-state and killed off a lively boat-building industry in Orange County in the 1980's.

(So just make it all happen a hundred miles south, and "No hay problema, jefe!")

The alternative was to come up with a better way that was easier on the boat makers and the J Boat company did so with a technique called SCRIMP, whereby the fiberglass goes into a bag and a vacuum squeezes out the air bubbles. https://www.boats.com/how-to/scrimp-system/

Here's a thinly veiled sales video for Beneteau:

I note that at 1:16, a grid appears in one hull that looks Triaxial AF.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, boatbuilders could use epoxy instead. But the cost was higher and in a tight market it did not pencil out. I recall that Express built some that way, and then they went under.

TLEO

Student of Life
Just like that we own a boat! :egrin:
We are freaking out in a good way and can't wait to dig into this new adventure.

Looking forward to sailing and enjoying life

Attachments

• 97197144_900914670380621_6611298417782030336_n.jpg
    97197144_900914670380621_6611298417782030336_n.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 32

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Bravo.

Now that the time of due diligence is over, I think you'll find the step-by-step discoveries of owning a boat are considerably more rewarding and less onerous. The decision is made. The job is at hand. Every small achievement is magnified. Worries fade, or find an appropriate perspective. A journey begins.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Just like that we own a boat! :egrin:
We are freaking out in a good way and can't wait to dig into this new adventure.

Looking forward to sailing and enjoying life

Congrats to you on that! Are you going to give her a COVID-related name??? :egrin: