• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-III dorade vent - source

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Had a very nice sail yesterday afternoon, and when putting away the boat I discovered that at some point in the day the "hood" for my Dorade vent decided to jump overboard.

I don't know why it was so unhappy where it was. All I know is that now there is an empty flange on the top of the Dorade box, and it looks so sad.

The flange measures 3-1/4" in diameter where the hood sits on it.

All of the replacement hoods I've seen (Nicro, Vetus, SeaDog, etc) seem to come in either 3" or 4" sizes, but I don't know if that's the OD of the flange or the ID of the hood itself.

Anyone know
-- if there's a replacement for this hood (I believe the original was Nicro)
-- if there's a replacement hood from another manufacturer that will work on the existing flange?

(If not, I may need to replace the flange, too, but I'd rather avoid that if possible)

dorade.jpg

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Marinco Nicro Vents

Hi Bruce
Launch knocked out our Nicro Low Profile Vent in June. I could not make the diameter dimensions work at all. I ordered by Vent Height and it worked. West was no help at all they were out of stock (again.)
What did you get for discovery on your bilge leak?
Best Regards
Pat
1981 E28+ Universal 5411

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Bruce,

As I recall I couldn't find a replacement, which is why I painted that one with Brightside.

In adopting stainless cowls to the current boat, I found making an adapter ring of acrylic or Star Board pretty easy--and gave me choice of any cowl.

A big stainless would look raaather good up there....

1-IMG_0301.JPG1-IMG_0303.JPG

1-IMG_0083.JPG

If it happened to fit, the brand (below) is far cheaper than Vetus, and actually I like the shape better. Never saw one in person....

https://www.marinedepotdirect.com/white-stamped-round-cowl-vent-dorade-set.html

Last edited:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
White Round Pressed 316 Stainless Steel Cowl Vent with Deck Plate

Had a very nice sail yesterday afternoon, and when putting away the boat I discovered that at some point in the day the "hood" for my Dorade vent decided to jump overboard.

I don't know why it was so unhappy where it was. All I know is that now there is an empty flange on the top of the Dorade box, and it looks so sad.

The flange measures 3-1/4" in diameter where the hood sits on it.

All of the replacement hoods I've seen (Nicro, Vetus, SeaDog, etc) seem to come in either 3" or 4" sizes, but I don't know if that's the OD of the flange or the ID of the hood itself.

Anyone know
-- if there's a replacement hood from another manufacturer that will work on the existing flange?

(If not, I may need to replace the flange, too, but I'd rather avoid that if possible)

View attachment 22675

I replaced the "rubberized" cowling on my E32-3 (1987) with a White Round Pressed 316 Stainless Steel Cowl Vent with Deck Plate that I found on eBay. Worked out quite well and it looks great. I paid $167 for it and it did include the deck fitting.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Thanks, all!

I'm going to order one of these from Defender and see if it fits over the existing deck-plate.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|6880|2290139|2290141&id=46208

I have very little hope that it will fit, so Plan B will be a decision about whether to return it and get something else (Vetus?), or just take off the old deck plate and use the one that came with the new Nicro hood.

No stainless steel hood for me. I don't do Breton Reds, I'm a shorts-and-flip-flops kinda guy <grin>

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Go for the Stainless....

I have two of these in boxes ready to go for when I re-do the stern-rail trim, as the mounting rings for both the existing vents are cracked and covered with silicone sealant (someone else's idea). Purchased from Amazon. I think they'll add a lot to the appearance of the stern. (Had to look up Breton Reds......:) )

cowl.jpg

Last edited:

bkuchinic

Member II
One of my original aft cowl vents was broken when neighboring boat dragged it's mooring and hit the my stern. The threaded base measures 3". I ordered two White Water cowl vents from Amazon today and will report on whether they are a fit. My current vents 'scoop' measures 3" x 5" and are 4-1/2" high measuring from the top of the threads to the top of the vent. The new vents are not as tall at 3". Suggestions for alternatives are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_2268.jpg
    IMG_2268.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2309.jpg
    IMG_2309.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2308.jpg
    IMG_2308.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 19

bkuchinic

Member II
Update on Cowl Vent Replacement

The White Water Cowl vents arrived, are very high quality, and appear to be a perfect fit based on the thread size. Photos attached. I likely won’t install until spring.

Attachments

• 604DD606-1C8F-474C-993F-20A5937F0495.jpg
    604DD606-1C8F-474C-993F-20A5937F0495.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 142BDBC5-CBCB-4009-83B5-73E0778D5A8D.jpg
    142BDBC5-CBCB-4009-83B5-73E0778D5A8D.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 16

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Anyone know

View attachment 22675

An update.... I couldn't find a direct replacement that fit the existing (phenolic) flange, and as it turns out I couldn't get the flange off - it appears to have been glassed/epoxied into place on top of the dorade box, and I didn't feel like making the project bigger than it needed to be if I didn't have to.

What turned out to work, though, is a "tall" Nicro hood with a slight modification.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/nicro-oval-pvc-cowl-vent-with-deck-plate-mount-n10963

This model comes with the deck-plate fitting glued into the bottom of the hood. Turns out the inside diameter of the hood itself is exactly the right fit for that phenolic flange. So I cut the fitting off the bottom of the hood and placed it over the flange. Fits perfectly and (if I felt the need) could secure it in place with a hose clamp or a couple of screws, but at this moment it is a tight press-fit and works great.

If anyone else has that same phenolic flange... food for thought.

Bruce

vanilladuck

E32-3 / San Francisco
Blogs Author
Found this thread after measuring to replace the existing crustaceans which once resembled cowls on Rumour.. and becoming thoroughly confused about the sizing. Just ordered these for the two stern and one mid-deck:

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
Installed new white stern scoops 2 yrs ago as the ones on the boat were sticky and looked bad.
the new ones looked great for abou 3 months then yellowed and got sticky too. The Admiral dropped one over trying to clean it. capped it off and can’t bring myself to get another white rubber one. May go stainless when the stern rail gets refinished this winter

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Rust oleum was my remedy this year. Made the rest of the boat look dirty…which led to additional efforts.