• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32 Mainsheet Refit, 4:1 or 5:1? or...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As budget allows, change those forward solid axel blocks over to ball bearing types (if they are not, already) -- every 90 degree direction change adds some measurable resistance.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Nice looking rig. Makes me want to add to the to-do list another problem I didn't even realize I had.

Last edited:

vanilladuck

E32-3 / San Francisco
Blogs Author
Another update from Rumour outside The Slot:
I got the 7/16" NE Sta Set line and made my own eyesplice. I'm pretty new to splicing and although there are numerous videos which help teach, I'm really liking Reed's Splicing Handbook as a point reference. It's got a cool name and anything to help keep my laptop screen closed when I'm working on the boat is a good thing ;)

PXL_20210203_040106167.jpg

I bought a couple more blocks to get rid of the original 1980s era Schaefer blocks with bushings. Fiddle blocks and under boom single block are Garhauer with ball bearings. I removed the double under the gooseneck and went diagonally down to the mast deck plate and through a Harken 60mm Element before going through the original deck organizer. I'll probably replace the deck organizers eventually. The Element line uses a journal bearing, but is small enough to not get fouled on the middle deck hatch aft of the mast.

PXL_20210206_232004630.jpg

Field tested this weekend in 1-18kts of wind. I noticed:
  1. Super low friction. The main sheet will let out with even just a few knots of wind.
  2. I'm able to sheet in mostly by hand in 10-12kts of wind and easy winching above that.
  3. The new green line just makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over.
Incidentally, this completes my first pass at color-coding my running rigging.

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 1.38.11 PM.png

Last edited: