• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32 Volt gauge goes up to 17 (when running the engine)

Thalassa

Member II
Because 17 is in the upper red zone I'm assuming there's a problem. What does this mean? Thanks.

Attachments

• 17 on Volt gauge copy.JPG
    17 on Volt gauge copy.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 22

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
From the partial view of the panel, it looks like you have a Universal diesel.
Can you tell us which model and if it has the factory internal-regulated 50 amp alternator?

paul culver

Member III
Yep, what Loren said. Maybe a voltage regulator problem. Make sure its not a meter problem. What does it read with ignition switch on before starting the engine?

Thalassa

Member II
Thank you all for the great feedback! It is a M25 Universal engine but not sure about the alternator. Will start by checking with a multimeter if the gauge is still functioning correctly.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
You're showing two separate things. The title says the volts go to 17 when the engine is running, as opposed to a photo showing <8 vdc.
The voltage should never be less than the charge on the selected battery, so it sounds like you may have a dead battery that the alternator is trying to charge. If the alternator/regulator are not already failing, trying to charge a failed battery can do damage to the alt/reg before long so I'd suggest:

First use a hydrometer (preferably) or your multimeter on each battery with everything off. The benefit of an inexpensive hydrometer is that it can isolate whether there is a dead or weak cell. The multimeter indication is at battery level.
eoceanic_state_of_charge_12v_battery.jpg

If you've not already found the voltmeter is bad, then they will probably need a charge even if not needing replacement because of your voltmeter photo. If a battery cell or charge was found to be low, take it (them) to a car parts store for a load check to verify the capability (health) of each battery.

Now that the heart of the system is known good, re-install and start the motor then see what the multimeter shows for the voltage across each battery while charging. Anything at this point is in the alt/reg, or wiring.

Thalassa

Member II
Sorry for the confusion, I just wanted to show a picture of the gauge (so one has an idea where a 17 falls). In hindsight I should have mentioned that when posting the picture. Thank you for the useful info on how the check the health of a battery.