• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34-2 1987 For Sale

rasmus

For sale my beloved E34. She is 1987 shoal draft (4'11") version. She is a perfect day/weekend sailor that is located in Connecticut.

Additional pictures https://photos.app.goo.gl/7qaFQvj9qeGYRK3XA

Recent updates include
Aug 2016 new exhaust and diesel fill in hoses
July 2017 B&G Vulcan 7" TouchScreen MFD
Sep 2017 New lifelines (Standing rigging checked every other year. Last time standing rigging was checked and tuned summer 2020)
Sep 2018 New North Sails Full Batten Main Sail, N/S 135% Genoa, Stack Pack, Lazy Jacks, New Running rigging
Apr 2019 Forward Hatch New glass by HatchMasters.com
Aug 2019 new exhaust elbow

Please PM me for details

1626190809260.png

mike2204

For sale my beloved E34. She is 1987 shoal draft (4'11") version. She is a perfect day/weekend sailor that is located in Connecticut.

Additional pictures https://photos.app.goo.gl/7qaFQvj9qeGYRK3XA

Recent updates include
Aug 2016 new exhaust and diesel fill in hoses
July 2017 B&G Vulcan 7" TouchScreen MFD
Sep 2017 New lifelines (Standing rigging checked every other year. Last time standing rigging was checked and tuned summer 2020)
Sep 2018 New North Sails Full Batten Main Sail, N/S 135% Genoa, Stack Pack, Lazy Jacks, New Running rigging
Apr 2019 Forward Hatch New glass by HatchMasters.com
Aug 2019 new exhaust elbow

Please PM me for details

View attachment 39600
I own an '88 sister ship, and am wondering what surgery was required on the anchor locker and forepeak to accommodate that vertical windless. It looks terrific.

Teranodon

Member III
I own an '88 sister ship, and am wondering what surgery was required on the anchor locker and forepeak to accommodate that vertical windless. It looks terrific.
On my E34, it was a big project:

https://docs.google.com/presentatio...D6AYM/pub?start=true&loop=false&delayms=60000

Six years later, I am still happy with the results. The only things that have crapped out are both Maxwell footswitches. Rather than buying new ones, I took them apart and replaced the plastic microswitches (about ten dollars on ebay).

nquigley

Sustaining Member
On my E34, it was a big project:

https://docs.google.com/presentatio...D6AYM/pub?start=true&loop=false&delayms=60000

Six years later, I am still happy with the results. The only things that have crapped out are both Maxwell footswitches. Rather than buying new ones, I took them apart and replaced the plastic microswitches (about ten dollars on ebay).
Great write-up, Stefan!
I couldn't work out how you can open your anchor locker lid though - looks like you cannot (?)

I installed the same windlass (Maxwell RC8-6) in my 32-3 a year ago. I was torn between the RC8-6 and the RC8-8, which has exactly the same footprint and body, but needs the next size up of chain (more $ per foot and more weight/ft too), and also the next size up of electrical cable. I compromised: I did my 8-6 installation with the next size up of cable so I could later switch out the windlass motor and gypsy if I decided that's necessary (oh, and replace the chain too). My boat's deep anchor locker simplified my installation considerably compared to yours, and let me use the existing drain hole instead of letting water in the locker drain into the bilges.
BTW - I got my chainlock from Maxwell - I was able to mount it flat on the deck.

I cut my lid in 'half' and mounted the windlass in the forward part (after reinforcing that part underneath). Maybe the location of the forward bulkhead in the 34 prevents this option.
lid closed.jpglid open.jpg
Instead of up/down footswitches, I installed a controller on a coiled cable, that mounts in a clip in the anchor locker.
The 'open' pic also shows a wash-down pump mounted on the bulkhead wall and its hose and squirt nozzle (and a spare CQR anchor).

My next problem was that the shape of my anchor's shank lifted the chain a bit too high to lead into the chainlock properly - causing the chain lock to let go of the chain sometimes...
chain too high_side view.jpg

I solved this in a bit of a horsey way - by leading the chain under a modified supplemental bow roller ...
chain with hold-down roller_chainlock engaged.JPGchain lower_side view.JPG
The top view shows the chain nice and slack behind the chainlock and the final pic shows how the bow roller unit holds the anchor shank and chain down by about 1.5" compared to the pic above.
(that's a Maxwell anchor swivel: it's narrow enough to fit through the boat's anchor roller channel, you you get a narrow enough bow shackle)

Attachments

• chain too high_side view.jpg
    chain too high_side view.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 10

mike2204

Teranodan and nquigley: Thanks to you both for those well-prepared guides! Lots of food for thought in your reports.

rasmus

It was installed by PO, windlass is manual and does not have pipes down to rode/chain locker. It is much simpler installation compared to what Teranodan and nquigley did :)