• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34-2 Anchor Locker Drain Clog

Bobby Steele

Member II
I just discovered that our anchor locker isn’t draining.
I guess... after seeing other posts... at least I know it’s not leaking into the V-Berth; but any suggestions on how to best address this? Can I just try to ‘snake’ it out; or try an organic drain cleaner like GREEN GOBBLER? I don’t want to create a worse situation.

Brad Johnson

Member III
thanks for reminding me , mine is clogged also , there is a hole in the bow a few inches above the water line, its a plastic tube so use something payable such as a zip tie.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our boat has the same hose-and-drain fitting. I have had to gently work out some sand that ran down from the anchor locker, and was partially clogging it. The drain hose is likely as old as your boat; as is ours. Ours is a fabric tracer reinforced clear hose.
I would not use chemicals on the 'clog', since they are formulated to soften organic things like soap scum and hair.
Best, really, would be to back off the hose clamp at the bottom, work the hose off of the barb (might be a glassed-in short piece of copper tubing), and get the grit out. Of course that can be a difficult place to reach on many models.

u079721

Contributing Partner
In my experience that fitting is only accessible if you have REALLY narrow shoulders or very long arms. I was able to replace the hose once, but it was (quite literally) a real pain. As for the clog, I once had to unclog mine during a cruise, and used hot (almost boiling) water down the hole while running a length of stainless seizing wire down as a snake to dissolve built up mud.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I've had mine clog more than once. I worked a (16ga, maybe) solid wire through the drain tube. A little hard to work it through the first time, so once I had it in, I just left it there. Locker drains fine with the wire in place. If it clogs, I just jiggle the wire back and forth a half-inch or so to clear it.

jtsai

Member III
That's an excellent idea, leaving the wire in the drain tube. It takes 9" long wire in 32-3.

Bobby Steele

Member II
That’s a pretty clever suggestion. Now I just need to find some time to get to our boat and try some of these.
I’ve been helping my daughter with a difficult infant custody issue - so I’ve been relying on members of our boat club to keep an eye on things this year.