• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34-2 Fire extinguisher locations?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi,
I am curious where people have installed fire extinguishers in their E34-2s.
Thanks
Phil

While the real E-34 owners are warming up their keyboards, I might have a comment.
I have know both firefighters and surveyors over the years, and based on their observation that a fire on board is far more to be feared than flooding, have tried to put some thought into this.
1- the minimum extinguisher requirement for a given size of boat is barely 'minimum'. More and bigger is better.
2- location matters, relative to where you might be, inside, and there the likely ignitions point might be.

Having an interior similar to the ER-34/2, our locations may be relevant. Hopefully.

Where might a fire start?
Typically...Engine compartment, and galley range area. (While it is possible for an electrical fire to start 'bout anywhere there are wires and devices, I defer to the logic of Occam for this.)

Next, how to you try to quickly extinguish it before it grows, if possible, and how do you escape? :0

IIRC, we are required to have a couple of the smaller 2.5# bottles, filled with dry powder.
Upon acquiring our boat we equipped it with two 5# bottles and one other 2.5#.

Given that being trapped by fire is a threat in the ends of the boat, one 5# is in the aft cabin, right behind the bulkhead at the rear of the galley. Other 5# is forward inside the forepeak. The third smaller bottle is mounted low down, on the inside bulkhead of the head compartment.

Our risks are relatively low, with a diesel fueled engine, and a shutoff to the fuel line at the tank, under a settee in the main cabin. And, our galley range is an Origo non-pressure range. (No pressure and no flareups)

Other similar boats do sometimes have one more extinguisher under a cockpit seat somewhere. Likely a good idea, even tho I do not have this.

On the general subject, several years ago, our YC arranged for a half day education and practice fire fighting class with the nearby PDX fire station with their adjacent training facility. They are very happy to have boaters have this practical knowledge, even though most of our group is sailors so we are not driving power cruisers around with 200 gallons of gasoline aboard. (May I say: Yikes.):scared:

Anyhow, everyone in our group of about 20, put our a real (propane) fire in a large flat container with impressive flames leaping up! Mostly all couples attended, and it's helpful for each and every person to pull the pin, point it at the base of the flames and move the powder stream back and forth and extinguish the flames. :)
While this class cannot replicate the drama of the real world, it beats the heck on relying on something you read once in a pamphlet.

Hope this helps to move the conversation along.
:0305_coff:

Last edited:

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Hi,
I am curious where people have installed fire extinguishers in their E34-2s.
Thanks
Phil
Following Loren's generic reply ...
I only have a 2.5# tank, mounted on the aft side of the half-bulkhead beside the nav station (opposite the galley and just forward of the engine).
So, if I'm in the forepeak when an engine/galley fire starts, I probably can't get to that extinguisher ... big note to self - mount a big (5#?) extinguisher in the forepeak.
I really like the idea of also having one (perhaps the biggest one on board) accessible from the cockpit - in addition to aiming it down the companionway for a galley or engine fire, you can use it if your tender's outboard catches fire (unlikely), or you can quickly grab it to help a neighboring boat on fire.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
One is mounted in the forecabin port side near the portlite. One is in the aft cabin mounted above the shelf and the third monster size is mounted in the cockpit locker.
It is vital to have one in the aft cabin as there is no emergency escape hatch.

Also, smoke alarms are fore and aft in the cabin. A carbon monoxide detector is mounted in the main cabin.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I have a 2.5# extinguisher on either side of my companionway (above the engine cover, reachable from inside or outside).

I also have a 5# extinguisher mounted to the structure inside my starboard-side lazarette (reachable from cockpit).

There's some sort of fire-supression thing *in* the engine compartment, but other than seeing that the needle is in the green, I haven't figured out if it is functional.

It's on my list.

Bruce

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Fire Suppression

I have a 2.5# extinguisher on either side of my companionway (above the engine cover, reachable from inside or outside).

I also have a 5# extinguisher mounted to the structure inside my starboard-side lazarette (reachable from cockpit).

There's some sort of fire-supression thing *in* the engine compartment, but other than seeing that the needle is in the green, I haven't figured out if it is functional.

It's on my list.

Bruce

EY put in a stock Halon fire system in the 80's. Our boat has one. Pictured and mentioned here: https://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?677-Wiring-amp-Engine-Detail-part-2

Never "tested", and I rather hope not to !

Apropos of whatever, quite a few years ago I had one of the 5# bottles self-discharge on a 95 degree day and put a layer of powder throughout a lot of our interior. It was truly a "Gawd Awful" mess that took weeks to clean up. Of course, in case of an actual fire to contain or fight... the powder would not be my first concern. :0

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When I was a cub reporter at the Elizabeth (N.J.) Daily Journal, the man-sized electrical panel in the Women's Page exploded into flames one morning. I heroically leapt from my nearby desk, seized a gigantic fire extinguisher on wheels, and blasted the conflagration into extinction with a powerfully masculine stream of 100 square feet of white powder.

I waited for the women to swoon in admiration. However, being reporters with pencils stuck in their hair, they just started cursing management and writing petitions.

The city editor strode to me, gesturing at the blackened panel with his cigar. I waited for him to pin my medal on.

"OK, Williams, now who's going to clean that up?"

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Not previously mentioned, I have a 5# extinguisher mounted by the forward edge of the Starboard icebox.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Also, any Kidde fire extinguishers we inherited with the boat can very likely be replaced for free under terms of the ongoing recall.

Kidde replaced six of mine, home and boat, at no cost--including shipping both ways.

https://www.iafc.org/blogs/blog/iafc/2019/07/05/reminder-of-ongoing-kidde-recall

Thank for this heads-up!
... It turns out that I had 3 extinguishers on-board that are part of the recall - free replacements are on the way (along with a free FedEx return label).
The one Kidde extinguisher I have at home, near the kitchen, is not part of the recall ... but in checking it, I discovered it was made in 2001 - apparently they have a ~12-year operational life, so I'll pick up a new one for home.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
We all need to be aware that the extinguishers need to be inspected once a year by an approved inspector. The Coast Guard will cite any boat whose extinguishers have not been when the boat is boarded. Boardings happen regularly here near the border. Many of the fire stations around offer classes on inspection. Several of us got certified so we could inspect our Yacht Club's and members boats.

Also, the extinguishers should be shaken once a month to be sure you hear the mixing ball rattling around. If you don't, throw the extinguisher away. If your car catches fire and your extinguisher doesn't work, you stand on the curb and watch it burn. If your boat catches fire and your extinguisher doesn't work, what do you do? Fire should be the most feared thing on your boat.

The life span of a extinguisher is 5-15 years and that is why the CG requires a pressure check at the end of five years. I replace the boats extinguishers at that point and use them in my cars and house. That keeps all the extinguishers rotated.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For decades, at least one member of our Club has been a member of the USCG Aux, and does the annual inspections and provides the approval stickers. No matter who does this, this is no charge.
The part that covers extinguishers required that the needle is in the 'green'.
I do take them in for a "re-tagging" every other year or so, as well.

BTW, the check list to get the annual Vessel Safety Check is pretty minimal, but at least serves as good starting point for spring commissioning. :)

Largest Concern: having at least one 3-pack of flare cartridges still within their 3-year expiration date!