• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

e34-2 fuel tank cleaning?

kapnkd

kapnkd
Not sure about how & where your E-34 tank is located - but on our 32 we were able to access and remove it via the cockpit locker for a thorough cleaning after emptying the remaining fuel.

Ours is a 1/8” aluminum tank which replaced the original galvanized tank back in the late 70’s. (One could almost here the algae growling at us when the filler cap was off.)

I added bleach and water then sloshed it around repeatedly followed by a high pressure hose nozzle spraying as much of the inside as possible. I finished off with another sloshing rinse of denatured alcohol and let it dry out for a few days.

Picked up an inexpensive wireless endoscope to look into the tank as well. It worked surprisingly well and saw it had cleaned up nicely from what was done.

...We also flushed all fuel lines out as well and, of course, changed both filters.

While the tank was out, the outside was also cleaned and repainted.

Hope this may help you out.

Attachments

• 4457DFF9-386C-4603-9AA9-0A8933BDB4B3.jpeg
    4457DFF9-386C-4603-9AA9-0A8933BDB4B3.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 5
  • EC2693BF-D713-4AE1-B635-5E2860F003E0.jpeg
    EC2693BF-D713-4AE1-B635-5E2860F003E0.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 5

paul culver

Member III
I had it done by a pro recently without removal. He cut a port to gain access. Not cheap (about 600$) but my filters were only lasting 3 hours so it was time. Christian has posted a how-to on this site.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tanks have baffles to prevent fuel sloshing around, and the baffles vary in design. The outline of their welds can be seen on the exterior. I wouldn't have needed three holes if my baffles were less large. Might need only one inspection port if that would permit reaching all the tank walls with a rag.

The hardest part of this job, which is easy DIY because it's just labor, is getting the lid off the tank and removing what in my case were 40 gallons of diesel fuel. The easiest means for that is a fuel pump, or failing that an engine oil "vacuum" extractor and patience.

patrscoe

Member III
Yes, I have installed two access ports in the aluminum tank, similar to Christian's video (in fact I based on my set up on his). I burned off most of the fuel, purchased an inexpensive fuel pump from amazon for $30 that runs off of batteries (still working today), pumped out the fuel in containers and donated the fuel to the marina's shop, hand cleaned the tank with cloths and scrub pads, refueled and replaced the fuel filters.
With the ports installed, it takes about 4 hours for the job.
If I feel like I have bad fuel and my filters are clogging up faster than normal, I will repeat the process. Fairly easy once it is set up.

I tried polishing the fuel and putting it back in the tank. The time you get additional filters to run the fuel through and the line set up, it costs more to polish than to replace the fuel, and the marina was happy to get free fuel for their equipment which is not as critical of clean diesel.

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
I have spent a fair amount of time cleaning out fuel tanks over the years. Did use a professional service once, but have evolved to a DIY process that works well.

I open whatever inspection port or fill access I can get, and then use a large 9 liter fluid extractor to suck the fuel out of the tank. The fluid extractor will suck just about every bit of crud or water off the bottom of the tank if you are patient and can get the right angle.

I put the fuel in inexpensive jerry cans I buy at walmart.com. If the fuel is bad, I list it + the cans as a free item on craigslist and give it away. If it's generally good/clear, I filter it with a baja filter as I pour it back into the tank through the deck fill.

I did this when I first got my O34 and removed a satisfying amount of scum from the bottom of the tank, and took away the worry of what was inside the tank.

Lastly, I now buy all my diesel for the boat at the gas station with a jerry jug, and use the baja filter.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yep, me too. With an inspection port, it's easy.

Gas-station diesel, of course, is illegal for use on sailboats, supposedly with a hefty fine. We're supposed to use the red-dye "farm equipment" diesel sold at marinas at high rates despite its exemption from road taxes. Personally I use so little diesel I take the legal way out, and I figure it keeps the gas dock in business.

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
Gas-station diesel, of course, is illegal for use on sailboats, supposedly with a hefty fine. We're supposed to use the red-dye "farm equipment" diesel sold at marinas at high rates despite its exemption from road taxes. Personally I use so little diesel I take the legal way out, and I figure it keeps the gas dock in business.
I am frequently wrong (ask my wife), however I think opposite is actually the case about the legality of the fuel usage. In my understanding the red stuff indicates the fuel has not had road tax applied, and hence it cannot be used in motor vehicles (and is easy for state troopers to notice if they look in a truck fuel tank). As far as I know, the fully road taxed fuel (non-red) sold at the gas station is legal to use in the boat. Theoretically, it should be more expensive than the non-road-tax fuel sold at your local fuel dock, but never is.

I use the gas station fuel because I think it's generally being moved in higher volumes and less likely to have impurities like water, however I have no data driven basis for this. And it's cheaper, and I don't have to remember the fuel dock hours.

I also should note my marina has a bylaw prohibiting tenants from fueling their boats from jerry cans (presumably because people don't pay attention when the tank is full and fuel is spilling out of the vent into the harbor), however I find that engaging in this kind of lawlessness gives me a bit of a thrill at midlife.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I use the gas station fuel because I think it's generally being moved in higher volumes and less likely to have impurities like water, however I have no data driven basis for this. And it's cheaper, and I don't have to remember the fuel dock hours.
You can use the road-taxed diesel in your boat and it's legal. If you buy the "off road" diesel that is sold for boats and heavy equipment, you should not use it your car.
You are right about sourcing your fuel from someone that is replacing it often. Sometimes a marine fuel dock might have some that's been stored a longer time and has moisture in it. I have bought some in jerry cans at a local truck stop, for that reason.

I have transferred fuel from portable container to the deck fill at the dock with no spillage, and even 20 miles off the coast to top up our tank. Having the Olson standard diesel deck fill up forward a ways by the port toe rail does call for having a rag or paper towel tucked in by the rail, tho.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Unless I am desperate for fuel in a remote location, I always fill our diesel tank at the marina fuel station where the local commercial fish boats, tugs or ferries fill up, for two reasons. Firstly, they fill large tanks so the fuel turnover ensures it is fresh, not stale, secondly these guys would not tolerate poor quality fuel with water in it as it would affect their livelihood.
In 15 years I've never had a bad fuel problem.
Frank

JSM

Member III
Three years ago I pulled the tank from our 34-2 because the aluminum tabs that hold it in place were broken. Used a cheap diesel transfer pump from Harbor Freight to remove the fuel. The tank came out easily and fit thru the companionway.
I took the tank to a shop that specialized in semi truck fuel tanks. They welded the tabs back on and cleaned the tank for about $100.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I refilled once with yellow (road taxed) diesel but then became concerned after reading about Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel providing lower lubricating properties than the old diesel. Is there any difference in the sulfur content of red and yellow diesel?

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
As far as I know there is no difference in sulfur content between the red and yellow - it's all ULSD.

I add Marvel Mystery Oil to my fuel to address what I believe is a lubricity issue for older engines that were not designed for ULSD. That probably could be the topic of a whole different thread :).

Ccaptain

Ccaptain
I'm wondering how any e34-2 owners have cleaned out their fuel tanks.
I did mine several years back. I removed the tank, drained the remaining fuel (just a cup or two left) and then installed and inspection/access port. This allowed me to wipe out all the black residue and other contamination. It was time consuming but we'll worth the effort spent

frick

Member III
I learned this trick from a friend.
Every Spring he used a Oil change pump to vacuum the bottom of his tank.
He backed out the fitting for the generator which state on the top of the tank.
He pumped it into a large mason jar so he could inspect the fuel (and water).
Get the water out and you not not have much growth at all.
I always use stable and a biocide at every fill up.

Rick