• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34-2 Galley sink removal

Bobby Steele

Member II
I think this is where to ask this...

I’m trying to remove the galley sink, but it’s being real stubborn. I removed all of the nuts from underneath, disconnected the drain hose - but it looks like it’s still being held down by silicone sealant.
So far, we’ve tried heat, and whacking it from underneath with a mallet. Whatever was used to hold it in place isn’t giving even a little. There’s no gap between the sink lip and the countertop to even work a razor blade into.
I know someone here knows the trick to getting this out.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, not a "trick" per se... and someone had to tell me.... when I took the galley sink out of our '88...
Use a heat gun on it, and a lot of thin wedges, like plastic blade putty knives.
EY used 5200 sealant/adhesive for EVERYTHING in those years.
Good stuff, but wow, does it ever take a death grip!
:(
Don't apply so much heat that you discolor the formica top, but enough that the SS flange is hot to the touch. The sealant will not really melt, but it *will* soften.

I did not worry too much about the countertop formica, because I was replacing it anyhow. The PO had left me a lot of small scratches....

BTW, while ours was out, we had it buffed up to a mirror shine, erasing many years of small scratches and general dullness.

Some pix of ours and the mounting area in this thread: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/galley-sink.6214/page-2#post-62151
See reply 25, and some others.

Teranodon

Member III
I think this is where to ask this...

I’m trying to remove the galley sink, but it’s being real stubborn. I removed all of the nuts from underneath, disconnected the drain hose - but it looks like it’s still being held down by silicone sealant.
So far, we’ve tried heat, and whacking it from underneath with a mallet. Whatever was used to hold it in place isn’t giving even a little. There’s no gap between the sink lip and the countertop to even work a razor blade into.
I know someone here knows the trick to getting this out.
If you feel like it, can you tell us why you are removing the sink. Is something wrong with it? Do you intend to replace it with something better?

Teranodon

Member III
We’re planning on refinishing the sink in a hammered copper finish, and putting a poured resin finish on the countertop.
Wow. Please be sure to post photos when you are done. And of any other similar projects. I'm sure that other owners would love to see, even at the cost of turning a shade of green.

Bobby Steele

Member II
My wife, Diana, is quite the decorator. She’s done the boat up in a Halloween theme year round. I’ll get some pix of what she’s done so far.

I just handle the functional side - like replacing the old head with an Airhead composting toilet and removing all of the old hoses and holding tank.

We live, part time, on The Raven - but are beginners at sailing. We’re fortunate to be members of the Nyack Boat Club, in New York - where we have access to some highly skilled boats men who have patiently been walking us through the ins and outs of sailing.