• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34-2 owners - what are your engine bed measurements?

Marlin Prowell

E34 - Bellingham, WA
I am seriously considering repowering my E34-2 with a Beta Marine engine. I currently have the original Universal M25. @Teranodon installed a Beta 25 in his E34-2. A UK boatyard installed a Beta 30 in what they called an Ericson 35, but it is actually a Pacific Seacraft version of the E34-2. I've taken careful measurements, and I don't see how a Beta 30 quite fits in my engine bed.

The UK boatyard sent me more pictures of their installation and I'm beginning to suspect that Ericson or Pacific Seacraft moved the stern tube aft a few inches when they started shipping E34-2 boats with the Yanmar 3GM30.

I've attached photos of my engine bed measurements, starting at the aft end of the shaft seal and working forward, along with a drawing. If you have a E34-2, does your engine bed match mine, or, if you have a Yanmar engine, is your stern tube further aft?

Inquiring minds want to know....
engine bed dims.pngengine bed drawing.png

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Strictly in the "FWIW" department, my friends with the 80's E-34 feel that the stock 21 or even the later 23 HP Universal is just a little underpowered. Altho not a lot.
Our lighter Olson had the factory-install Universal M25XP which was the 23 hp version, and it was quite adequate.

When I repowered I did briefly consider the Beta 30, but it was longer and heavier, and would have required a lot more work to prepare the boat for the install. Enough of a change that the cost would have increased a lot.

The Betamarine 25, at 25 HP, is really a good design. Matter of fact, the extra couple of HP might be used up for the rare times we start out motoring with a really low house bank, and for a while the new 70 amp alternator slurps up a bit more power to turn the alternator.
Be sure to measure for the room needed for the new exhaust riser, as well.

To make an unscientific prediction, I think you'd be delighted with the Beta 25. It's just my opinion, but I doubt that our old engines are putting out their original-rated HP after thousands of hours. And then, aside from the engine, you need to be Sure that your prop is actually the right diameter and pitch for your boat. It took us a number of years and several prop changes to 'get this right'. That brought us up from 6.5 kts to 7 at cruise rpm's (2500).

supersailor

Contributing Partner
The M25XP is a three point installation in the E-34. The Beta or any other new engine will be a four point installation. That means a rebuild of the engine mounts. If the new engine is any longer, the engine box will need enlarging.

The M-25Xp drives my 34-2 at just shy of 7 knots with a Michigan Sailor two blade prop. The secret of getting that speed is in having it propped just right. The Betamarine 25 will push the e-34 just fine. Repowering has it's benefits shuch as smoother quieter running and even better fuel economy. Just figure in the extra time or money for changing the mounts.

JSM

Member III
mbp , Give Stanley at Beta Marine in South Carolina a call he can provide you with all you need to know about fitting that engine in you boat. I have not re powered my 34-2 but two years ago I changed the mounts and switched over to a four point mounting system. In the process I discovered that the lag bolts holding the rear motor mounts to the engine bearers strip out very easily when re using the same holes. In order to solve this problem I welded nuts to the underside of a 1/8" thick steel plate and lag screwed the plates into the engine bearers. With this arrangement I am now able to use machine bolts to hold the rear motor mounts in place.
For the front mounts I fabricated bearers out of 3" square steel tubing and angle iron. The angle was drilled and thru bolted to the engine room floor and the square tubing was drilled and taped so that the motor mounts could be bolted in.
Everything now stays tight and in place.4 mounts (2).jpgangle iron.jpg