• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34 Interior Finish

Richard Elliott

Member III
Re: 1989 E34 by Pacific Seacraft. Is the interior finish oil or satin varnish. I have a few water drips down the inside of the cabin sides which acts like an oil finish.

kevin81

Member II
Interior finish

I also have a 1989 E34 - the interior has a satin varnish. I am the third owner; the the two previous owners kept excellent records and I do not see any references in their records to an oil finsh.
Kevin
S/V Serenidad

u079721

Contributing Partner
Oil inside my 1989 E-38

Well, it's not the exact same model, but the interior woodwork on my old 1989 E-38 was certainly oiled. I've never seen an Ericson order form, but I bet the varnished interior was a factory option. (Probably an expensive one at that.)

ref_123

Member III
What stain?

People, sorry to ask a really stupid question, but was there any stain applied on the internal woodwork before warnishing?

Thanks,
Stan

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The color of Teak...

Ours did indeed have a stain applied along with the oil. The idea was, evidently, to help differing bits of teak all blend in together. It works, but at the cost of darkening the teak and giving it a reddish tinge. From previous discussion on the List and thru personal experience of scrubbing at the surfaces with solvents and rags, it is cherry stain. The parts that we could remove and thoroughly clean with Teaka A & B, like the sole pieces, the table, and both settee backs, are nowadays a lovely natural golden teak look, under multiple coats of varnish. I just wish the bulkheads could look so good.
:rolleyes:
Plan "B" is to clean 'em up (one of these days...) with solvents, lightly sand, and varnish them in situ.
The difference is not all that pronounced, but I prefer the lighter, "golden" look of fresh teak to the stained/colored appearance.

Oh well, if it were not for stuff like this, I might have to take up golf or alcohol.... :eek:

As to "factory varnish", I agree that it was probably a spendy option. I have seen this listed for extra $$ for other makes of boat in the 80's.

Best,
Loren in PDX
'88 Olson 34

Al Emondi

Member II
Teak Interior Color

I have recently decided to mount a few speakers just aft of the bulkheads. I couldn’t bring myself to drilling 5 ½ inch holes in the bulkheads, so I decided I would build two speaker cabinets instead. I started with a backing of 3/8” exterior ply, and then ripped down a series of ~3”wide ~1/4” thick planks of teak to match the interior planking that is on the boat. On a test piece of teak, I applied a clear satin varnish and realized my color may many shades lighter than the piece of trim I brought home to match to. Hence, this lead to my quest on the site to see what others have found. I see Loren mentions a cherry finish, and I am thinking I have the same. But after comparing it to the fresh blond teak on the speaker cabinets, it is hard to bring myself to stain it cherry before varnishing it. With the natural beauty of teak, why would any manufacturer use any stain on teak. Even if different pieces of teak has different shades, that adds to the beauty. So I guess this darker color just isn’t due to the aging process ey? Does any one else have any more experience with this?

JORGE

Member III
I follow what Loren is saying, and my interior ( E32-2) is mahogany with some teak pieces added along the way by PO's. I intend to carefully strip down those which are dark, and then coat with a satin varnish which leave very little tone because I perfer the natural tone. Practical -sailor recently published some worthwhile info on the subject( with some aging tests). Some areas near to the companion ladder show extreme wear, and for these I plan to restore by using new mahogany veneer. Not African mahogany, which I hear has odd tonal/grain variations.
As for teak, I have purchased several types some are blond other reddish brown. The blond teak I was told was farm grown. Prep by wiping with acetone. I would match by (carefully) staining the lighter wood, and patch test color on scrap would be helpful too.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Oiled on ours

Our 1988 has oiled teak (which is evident because of all the minor leaks in the portholes). As soon as I solve ALL the leaking issues (have done the hatches, trying to decide whether or not to re-glass the porthole rough openings and recut them to the proper size or just re-bed them and see if that works) I'm planning to varnish the whole thing in a nice satin.
Ours has no stain, it looks just like any other piece of teak with oil on it for 16 years which gives it a darkened look.
Chris

ps. if anyone is looking for veneers, check out www.oakwoodveneer.com for great selection.

Al Emondi

Member II
The plot (or should I say stain) thickens

Well I went out and bought three different stains (Cherry, Red Oak, and a new Minwax color Red Sapia (I think)). None of these applied to the teak seems to come close to what is in our cabin. So, I decided to use the Cherry as Loren suggested and apply a satin varnish over that. It darkens the teak a bit to a closer tone to what is in the boat, but anything more than that...well...I just couldn't bring myself to modify the teak color to be more redish. Once I finish the project I will post some pics.