• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34 vs E35 vs E38

Walter Shilling

I started sailing on a E35 in '76 out of Annapolis for a week and have had a E32-200 since '88.

Apparently the E35-3 has features and charictoristics which set it appart and make it desirable.

Could you describe these?

How would it be different that other E35's and why the E35-3 vs the E38, E34, E32-200 or even the E39?

Thanks,

Walt

Jeff Lennox

The E35-3 was produced in the late 1980's at the same time as the E34 and E38. The late 1980's E34 and E38 layouts are nearly identical with aft head and aft double berth, the E34 is just smaller in certain areas (no separate shower, L- shaped seating area at the table vs. U- shaped, less storage area in V-berth).

The E35-3, on the other hand, is a completely different layout - forward/port head with separate shower, large galley aft and starboard, aft quarter berth. Is the E35-3 more desirable?

The E34 is slightly faster than the E35. The E35-3 has a great galley and big head, but less room for sleeping in private cabins. The E34 was better for us due to two good-sized staterooms. It gets down to personal preference on
layout and how important a little additional speed is.

Jeff Lennox
former owner 1987 E34-2 "Wanderer"

Jim Gordon

Originally posted by Jeff Lennox
The E35-3 was produced in the late 1980's at the same time as the E34 and E38. The late 1980's E34 and E38 layouts are nearly identical with aft head and aft double berth, the E34 is just smaller in certain areas (no separate shower, L- shaped seating area at the table vs. U- shaped, less storage area in V-berth).

The E35-3, on the other hand, is a completely different layout - forward/port head with separate shower, large galley aft and starboard, aft quarter berth. Is the E35-3 more desirable?

The E34 is slightly faster than the E35. The E35-3 has a great galley and big head, but less room for sleeping in private cabins. The E34 was better for us due to two good-sized staterooms. It gets down to personal preference on
layout and how important a little additional speed is.

Jeff Lennox
former owner 1987 E34-2 "Wanderer"

How do you figure that the 34 is a faster boat? I thought they were built on the same hull even though the brochure lists a different LOA and LWL.

I think the 35 feels like a bigger boat with the dinette at the beamy part of the boat and a larger V-berth. It does have less privacy.

Both boats are bigger and faster than the 35-2.

Jim Gordon
Ericson 35-3 #282

Jeff Lennox

Originally posted by Walter Shilling
Jeff,

How does your Tartan 41 fit within these boats and can you comment on the E39?

Thanks,

Walt

The T4100 layout is almost identical to the E34-2 and E38-200, just larger. Very traditional, but with beamier transom. I consider it to be like the larger Ericson that never made it past the blueprint stage. No direct knowledge of the E39.

Jeff

Paul F. Raywood

I might be able to speak to this as I own a 34 and looked at the 35's.

Basically the answer is that they are two different hulls, lets call them 1st cousins. If you look at them side by side out of the water, which I have, you can easily see the difference.

The 35 is broader and deeper in the bilges and the 34 is actually 2 inches longer at the waterline then the 35.

Length at the waterline is one of the factors used in calculating speed. Wetted surfaces, which the 35 has more of, would also affect performances.

I think the difference in speed is slight, but the 34, on paper, should be faster.

Paul
s/v Shadowfax

Jeff Lennox

To follow up on Paul's reply, the PHRF is lower for an E34-2 than an E35-3, and (at least in PHRF NE), only slightly higher than for an E38-200.

In addition, I have on the water experience. During the past three years of rendezvous racing (three races per rendezvous), we have beat all E35-3's, and, in fact, beat all the E38-200's across the finish line (no time correction!), except for our Sailnet friend Nick Puccio, who beat us with tide strategy two times over six races.

No, I am not a "racer". I also believe the mast placement is different between the E34-2 and E35-3. Both are great boats, very different interior concepts. Not sure I agree with the view that an E35-3 feels bigger, because the aft cabin on an E34-2 is much larger, though the v-berth is smaller.

By the way, the fastest boat at our rendezvous is an E36 - they usually bring home the gold, although this year we beat them with the time correction.

Jeff

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
E-39

Originally posted by Jeff Lennox
Originally posted by Walter Shilling
Jeff,

How does your Tartan 41 fit within these boats and can you comment on the E39?

Thanks,

Walt

The T4100 layout is almost identical to the E34-2 and E38-200, just larger. Very traditional, but with beamier transom. I consider it to be like the larger Ericson that never made it past the blueprint stage. No direct knowledge of the E39.

Jeff

The E-39 is a much different boat than those produced in
the eighties. This boat was actually drawn in 1969, and
heavily influenced by the IORmk1 rule. The hull has pinched
ends and much tumblehome. The emphasis was on upwind sailing
ability in light air (she has a rather tall rig). Down below
the vaulting overhead (she's flush decked) gives the impression of a bigger boat. Visually she appears light, airy, and open without that partitioned off feeling. There
were a couple different layouts available-the most popular
one being port and starboard berths in the salon, head forward and a large v-berth. Aft, there was usually a pilot berth with the galley opposite.With no aft cabin, she has an enormous cockpit with forward steering station, and a huge lazarette. Although most Ericson's are seakindly,
this design is particularly so and was successfully raced,
with many wins to her credit.

Martin King