• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-2 Badly rusted chainplate bracket

Clay

I have removed mahogany cover and found that the original chainplate bulkhead had been reinforced by a previous owner.

It looks like they also added (2) more stainless brackets for more support. One bracket is in the head on the other side of the bulkhead, and the other partly overlaps the main chainplate. The brackets are VERY BADLY RUSTED on the front and back--very tough to get bolts out. The rust is so thick, it flakes off somewhat, but still exists after scraping. The original chainplate had a little rust from the rusted bracket, but buffed out clean. While badly rusted, the others look like they still have strength.

How can I remove the rust from these "stainless" brackets? (Chemical? Machine shop? Grinder?)

Do I need them? (The bulkhead looks great...no rotting)

Thanks.

Clay Carter
Long Beach, CA

Bob in Va

Member III
cleaning stainless

Wichard makes a stainless cleaner/passivator - I believe it is called Wichinox. However, it sounds like you need a different grade of stainless. How about finding someone who enjoys a non-standard fabrication project and have him make you replacements out of 316 stainless - then you won't ever have to worry about that problem again.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
My boat has no steel brackets in the vicinity of the chainplate, so I am wondering why your previous owner felt the need for them. Can you contact him and find out? The bulkhead, coupled with stiffness in the deck, provides all the support in the original design, and from your desciption I can not picture what they are there for.
Anything as badly rusted as your description sounds like it is not worth keeping.

Gareth]
Freyja E35 #241 1972