• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-2 Engine position change

unequaltee

Member II
As the engine mounts on my 1972 E35-2 had rusted away, and I need to fit a new engine anyway. To give us a bit more room I have decided to re-locate the engine under the companionway steps. Has anyone else out there done it? All the brochures and plans I have found so far have shown the engine under the seat. any help much appreciated.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The real determiner may prove to be the shaft log, both location fore n aft, and whether it lines up with the centerline of the hull.
While FRP construction is infinitely customizable, this might be "a bridge too far", as our khaki-clad fathers once observed. :rolleyes:

If you search this site, there are several different diesel engine changeovers for the Ericson 35-2 series. Some did require a slight rise in the settee seat over the engine.

Sidebar: while the height is certainly restricted, this did have a distinct sailing advantage -- put the engine weight forward toward the center of the boat.

Interesting project.

Regards,
Loren

robjpowell

Member II
The position of the engine is something that has always puzzled me. My 1976 E35-2 came to me, 5 y ago, with what I must assume was the factory installation under the stairs not the settee (Atomic 4, manufacture date on the engine of 1975). There is zero evidence of it ever being elsewhere. I can certainly provide photo's measurements if you need them. If nothing else this shows it can be done.

Good luck,
Rob

Emerald

I can't provide the answer for you, but I would be very careful about moving the engine aft and throwing the trim of the boat off. I may be wrong, but my gut tells me the factory may have had the engine in different locations, but would have accommodated for this with ballast changes, which may have been placement of lead under the v-berths. Do note that if this had been done to trim out a further aft placement, it might have been at the detriment of handling in a severe sea state - weight at the ends of the boat will make it hobby horse versus trying to minimize this motion by centralizing weight. So, while a space gain may at first seem like a nice benefit, do be sure to take all the angles into account and how you plan on using her - offshore versus bay sailing etc. Hopefully some other E-35-2 owners will be able to add specifics of where their engine is placed and if there's additional ballast under the v-berths etc.

steven

Sustaining Member
My E35-2 , 1976, has the engine (A4) under the stairs. When I was shopping (specifically for an E35-2), I looked at models with mid engine arrangements. Considered a bunch of trade-offs (noise, electric cable runs, location of the prop, performance while backing, ventilation, access, room, storage). On balance I concluded it's subjective whether one is better than the other. Did not effect my decision on which boat to buy.

However, I do think engine in the middle would be easier to maintain. Getting at certain parts of the engine under the stairs is a serious pain.

--Steve

unequaltee

Member II
Engine Move

Thanks for the thoughts. The way I see it (rightly or wrongly) The engine is only about 120 kilo's I will be swapping places with the battery bank that was under the stairs, I am fitting a new water tank under the floor just above the keel a gravity holding tank within the heads, and fitting a calorifier in the centre of the boat so it should all sort of even out. I should also add that the PO had the keel extended fairly early on to improve stability down wind and weather helm (she now has a draught of 6'2" !! and I thought what I was contemplating was nuts!) so the effect should not be quite as dramatic, maybe ?
Ian

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Ian,

Do you have any photos of the extended keel? With the encapsulated keel that seems like a tricky modification.

unequaltee

Member II
Extended Keel

I hope I have attached a photo of my project when it arrived,showing the extended keel, I have examined the whole of the bottom and cannot see the join anywhere! I am on a bit of a mission to find out which yard did the work and how it was done, if I can get any information I will post it on this site
Ian Robertson

Attachments

• ionian compressed.jpg
    ionian compressed.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 82

Tom Plummer

Member III
For what it's worth mine has a Yanmar 3GM30F under the ladder and it works just fine. I have seen some discussion in the past where E35Mk2 owners were complaining about a constant port list. I don't have that problem I wonder if the under the settee position of the engine causes it?

steven

Sustaining Member
with my A4 under the stairs, I have 3deg starb. list. I don't think the engine weight/location much affects the list.

steven

Sustaining Member
prop location with engine aft

rudder2.jpg

Note: Whisper has an E38 rudder. So distance from the prop to the rudder might be a little different than for the E35-2 original rudder.

--Steve

robjpowell

Member II
Steve,
Did you install the E38 rudder? If so where did you source it from and can you remember the ballpark cost for it? I have been pondering options for increasing the size to reduce weather helm. Does this meet that goal?

Thanks

Rob

robjpowell

Member II
For what it's worth I did manage to find an image from a couple of seasons ago that I could crop out a rudder::prop image from -don't worry it's not your eyes but a very blurry image. It appears that the E38 rudder Steve has did not substantively change the rudder::prop spacing.

Rob

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png

Attachments

• rudder.jpg
    rudder.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 54

steven

Sustaining Member
big rudder

Rob,

F.O. did it. I do not know which yard (probably in Annapolis area) did the work, who made the rudder (Foss?) or the cost.

As you can see from the picture, it appears pretty much unmodified. Been thinking about radius-ing the lower leading edge - probably doesn't matter to performance, but would be more aesthetic.

Together with a largish (48") wheel, driving on all points of sail, and in any weather, is a cakewalk.

--Steve