• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-2 inside bulkhead instrument cabinets

steven

Sustaining Member
The E35-2 (and some of the other models) has built in instrument boxes inside the aft cabin bulkhead so you can get to the backs of instrument mounted on the bulkhead.
But how do you get wires to it ? The bulkhead side of the cabinets are up against the interior plastic liner with no obvious way to feed wires into it. Anyone fuss with this and discover where to feed and/or fish wires ?

thanks

--Steve

steven

Sustaining Member
mine are closed completely inside except for 1/4" hole at the bottom to let wire through. But apparently no (easy) way to get to the other side of the hole.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
The outside aft corner overlaps with the cockpit coaming, at least on the E29. For other models YMMV.

One may need to drill or enlarge holes to pass wires through. On the port side, wires can thus feed into the sail locker, or go around a 180° bend and forward into the hull-deck joint "duct." On the starboard side a deck plate in the lining above the quarterberth gives access to the inside of the coaming (also needed for bolts of the winches and other hardware).

e.g. I recently posted this pic - the AC power receptacle on the coaming is inside that "instrument box.) Only a thin layer of glass aft of that closes off the rest of the coaming from the "cabinet." I'm not sure this detail is the same on other models, but I suspect that it is, on some of them.
IMG_3071.png

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I have an instrument cabinet on the port side of that bulkhead. My wires take a rather circuitous path from the distribution panel at the port-side nav station, aft above the headlining that's above the shelf beside the quarter berth, then they turn (through a rather tight space) and run forward again above the headliner directly above that berth. Wires that branch off at that point to the instrument box go through another small gap to the headliner above the area where the box and finally into the top corner of the box via a small hole at the top of the side wall of the cabinet.

steven

Sustaining Member
thanks. this is actually a bit surprising.
why provide these very nice instrument boxes and make it nearly impossible to get to them.
(I also find them useful for winch handles, fuel fill key, first aid kit, and flares, but I don't think these were the motivation purposes)

--Steve

kapnkd

kapnkd
The E35-2 (and some of the other models) has built in instrument boxes inside the aft cabin bulkhead so you can get to the backs of instrument mounted on the bulkhead.
But how do you get wires to it ? The bulkhead side of the cabinets are up against the interior plastic liner with no obvious way to feed wires into it. Anyone fuss with this and discover where to feed and/or fish wires ?

thanks

--Steve
With our ‘73 E-32 (similar layout to the E35-2) we lost power to the port side interior lighting of the boat early on. My solution was to run new power wires to the storage boxes and tie back into the one cabin light just under the cabinet.

...I drilled a hole in the in the bottom of the box and ran the wiring plus additional wires for a GPS and other bulkhead instruments. The wires were bunched into a plastic snakeskin wrap and neatly followed the shortest route to respective power sources.

Here’s a rough drawing I did at the time that can hopefully shed a little more light on it for you.

5C2935F5-E64E-4D20-9162-D74F2567BAB7.jpeg

I might add, and food for thought, we have since removed the bulkhead mounted instruments to mount them up by the mast. ...Seemed people were always sitting/leaning back on the bulkheads and blocking the view. By the mast everyone can see them easily.

2CCC42F1-361D-4B47-85CB-78D6AB634520.jpeg