• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-2 mystery device in coaming

steven

Sustaining Member
cleaning out the coamings intending to resurface.
(a real pain chipping out cracked fiberglass and rotten wood - but there seems to be a good surface to work with underneath).

Inside the starb coaming all the way fwd, I found this. (those are winch bolts above it and to the left a switch which seems to be related).
Anyone know what it is ? fan? horn? microwave oven?

--Steve

IMG-1435.jpgIMG-1438.jpg

###

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Ah-oo-gah horn.

Been thinking about putting one on my boat along with a periscope.
You would seriously tempt Neptune. Don't even mention a periscope!

Of course, one of the most popular boat names was, "On the Rocks," for several years. Those owners were obviously thinking about boats which stay tied to the dock for drinking, not about sailing through possibly hazardous shoals, still....

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Actually I seriously considered making a periscope on my old E27. I had a wired remote for the autopilot and in nasty weather I though I could just add two mirrors in a frame attached to the forward hatch so that when you raised the hatch to a 45 degree angle you could sit in the cabin and see to steer. The more rational part of me decided to save my money and install a dodger, and build a little seat that would fit on the hatch boards. That way I could sit in the companionway with my lower body in the warm cabin and put the charts on the companionway slider in front of me and stay warm and snug while I steered with the remote.

Unfortunately the autopilot on my E35 doesn't have the option of a remote. Two steps forward, one step back. I do miss the days of sitting on the bow with a book and a beer on a sunny day and still be able to dodge the crap pots.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
kind of looks like the remains of a smashed in-line (coaxial?) blower that once was hooked into a vent hose. Given that's sort of the location I'd expect to find one.
i.e. this sort of thing:
71B0rgkWHYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

kapnkd

kapnkd
cleaning out the coamings intending to resurface.
(a real pain chipping out cracked fiberglass and rotten wood - but there seems to be a good surface to work with underneath).

Inside the starb coaming all the way fwd, I found this. (those are winch bolts above it and to the left a switch which seems to be related).
Anyone know what it is ? fan? horn? microwave oven?

--Steve

View attachment 38227View attachment 38228

###
Thou art a BRAVE sailor cleaning out those coamings, let alone even reaching way back into them!! We draw straws for that chore and prefer changing seriously soiled diaper bombs to reaching into those coamings!!

...Underneath it kind of looks like a metal plate of sorts and perhaps some type of a shut off valve (??) Could it have possibly have been some sort of liquid pumping device...but for what in that area that would require a shut off in such an inconvenient spot???

A real mystery for sure!!! PLEASE keep us posted!!

Last edited:

Chris Mc.

Member III
1st guess is a PO was trying to provide some ventilation/air movement to an area of their concern.
2nd guess is; I guess I have no idea!!

markvone

Sustaining Member
I'm guessing exterior speaker for vhf radio. Looks like an old PA speaker you'd mount on the mast for hailing and auto fog horn.
Switch to turn off when not in cockpit. Wasps left after install (unless they were 70s rock wasps).

Mark

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Looks to me to be some old HVAC vent pipe. It looks like a blower. Where does it go or what's it connected to back in the shadows? Does it exit the boat?

steven

Sustaining Member
Thanks for guesses - probably one is right. It's connected to nothing on the back end.
I'm going to try to get it out.

I wear gloves and safety glasses when working.

One year I reached in for a winch and ended up with 14 wasp stings on my arm.
But there is nothing back in there now except split FG and some rotten wood.

--Steve