• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-2 Replacing OEM Traveler and Track

Clay Carter

Finally grown tired of my original curved track traveler in front of my wheel pedestal and ready to upgrade to Harkin straight track with pullies.

Inspected another E35-2 on my dock and noted that they upgraded with a straight track and also installed a stainless bracket below the track for more strength. This is due to the new straight track no longer being 100% flush with the fiberglass completely across the cockpit as the OEM but now it partially crosses the cockpit with nothing below it for securing. The stainless steel part is very well engineered and is secured with bolts on top through the new track, and also secured to the fiberglass that supports the pedestal. (Bolted across above the A/C shorepower connector) My plan was to just have the new track cross with no special support and now I'm concerned about rigidity and strength...

QUESTIONS:

Has anybody out there made this upgrade?

Is this stainless track support needed? If so, is it available pre-made or is it custom?

Any other words of wisdom on this subject are appreciated.

Thanks. Clay

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
If you go to the Harken site you can get all sorts of information on track and the unsupported distance each kind of track can span.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Harken can bend a track - I spoke to a rigger two years ago at some length about the project. If the track bends with the arc of the mainsheet on the boom (as the original did), the mainsheet setting will not change as the traveller setting is changed, which simplifies sail trim.
The coring through which the track is bolted is 0.5" plywood. Mine was pretty badly rotten when I ripped it out, if there is any chance yours has seen moisture, I would reinforce the track with a backing plate under the deck, especially if you opt for a straight track, which cuts across the middle of the mounting area - not that expensive a part of the project from the local machine shop.
I am finding it hard to picture reinforcing it to the vertical fibreglass, but I would think it unnecessary, as it is where the track is away from the edge that the weak point is.
Remember this is worth what you have paid for it, and a rigger would give much better advice.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
Hmmmm.
The OP as well as the people who replied to this thread have not been around for years. I'm hoping to hear from someone who has upgraded to a new complete system with a bent track to match the original.

Hanktoo

Member III
I contacted Garhauer and had them make a new one to the original. I took off the original and shipped it to them and they used it as a template for the new one. One word of caution, when you take off the original it may arch a little, I had them make the track without an arch i.e flat. Very pleased with the result one of the best improvements I did on the boat. I didn't do any extra support other than the largest fender washers I could fit in the space below.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I have a blog that I'm trying to get published here about the traveler replacement on my E32-3 that I just completed. Not the same boat as yours but you might learn something from my experience and mistakes too. Have a message to Sean asking why I can't seem to post the blog but I'm sure we'll get this sorted out soon.

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
I contacted Garhauer and had them make a new one to the original. I took off the original and shipped it to them and they used it as a template for the new one. One word of caution, when you take off the original it may arch a little, I had them make the track without an arch i.e flat. Very pleased with the result one of the best improvements I did on the boat. I didn't do any extra support other than the largest fender washers I could fit in the space below.
Thanks for the reply.
When you say arched do you mean the ends curled up or something like that? It is still radiused "around the mast", is it not?
I like the Garhauer stuff. What purchase did you go with? I feel 3:1 would be more than adequate.

Thank you @Bolo I'll look for it.

Mark David

Member II

Does the back of the traveler clear the front of the pedestal?

Hanktoo

Member III
It does clear it, just. As far as your earlier question regarding the arch. Currently it is bolted down flat. When you take it off it may bow so that it does not lie flat.

Michael Edwards

Member II
Hey folks,
I did this with all harken track and sheeting cars. With the same concerns about the gap; I bridged it with my new favorite material: 1/2” PVC panel Built up to an 1 1/2“ , bolted to the bottom of the track. I have had no concerns since installing it, and sure don’t miss that !@#$% curved track!

Michael Edwards

Member II
Oh, BTW,
I moved the entire assembly forward about two inches, that curved track was too close to the pedestal, as the main sheet blocks hit it and would entangle the shifter and throttle. Doing a controlled Jibe really required careful attention.
As to the sheeting cars: they really are nice for adjusting the car position ( No crawling down to jerk on the car).
This was a major $$$, but well worth it. Next was a loose footed Mainsail with longer battens (No pocket).

Hanktoo

Member III
Yes that has gone up a bit since I did mine. I bought that and a few other items at the Annapolis boat show price.