• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-3 / E350 heavy weather / large seas performance

N.A.

E34 / SF Bay
Hello folks-

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has handled an E35-3 in heavy conditions (seas > 12 ft / 4m, and/or wind > 30 kts). I am especially interested in somewhat worse -- 15+ ft/5+m and/or wind > 40 kts, especially for significant lengths of time (hours at sea, as opposed to a short run back into a harbor).

My reason for asking is that I am considering an Ericson 35-3 for a trip from Hawaii to San Francisco, with perhaps a stop in Puget Sound. In addition, my home waters (Golden Gate area / SF Bay) often feature reasonable wind (25-30 kts common many summer days, and seas can be > 5 ft fairly often as well, and races still go out when they are > 10 ft). Knowing how the 35-3 behaves would help me determine if this is a reasonable boat for what I would like to do. I am interested in both upwind and downwind performance in such conditions. Any comments from folks who have sailed (or motored) up or down the US West coast in less than ideal conditions in a E35-3 would also be appreciated.

The E35 is not on any of the "bluewater cruisers" lists, yet seems built like a tank and likely to be quite seaworthy... plus fun to sail. I figure this is the place to ask for additional information. Apologies if I went about posting this incorrectly -- I am new to the forum. I did see that some comments have been made on this topic before, but not many and I only noted one person stating personal experience in such conditions in a 35-3. Any additional information / vignettes of your experience (specifically E35, and ideally E35-3 if it is much different than the -1, -2) would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance-

Neil

PS: I am aware a book* has been written about taking a 32-2 round trip to Hawaii, but am less sure truly adverse sea conditions were encountered on that trip (have not yet received the book to find out, but in any case that's the 32, not the 35).
* "Alone Together: Sailing Solo to Hawaii and Beyond", by Christian Williams

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The hull form of the Bruce King-designed 80's Ericson 32-3, the 34, the 35-3, and the 38 (all iterations of interior) are strikingly similar.
The book you reference is about a 32-3. I have done a summer delivery on a 32-3, out the Straits and down the Washington coast. No giant seas, but some short and steep stuff at the mouth of the Straits and again at the Columbia River bar entry. That hull shape has an easy motion in rough seas due to the bow sections having sufficient V and yet enough upper hull buoyancy when the wave rises up.
Also, the hull of the 35-3 (and same hull on the 80's 34, is considerably bigger than the model designation might lead you to believe. It is closer to the E-38 in general size.
Hope your research satisfies and encourages you.
:egrin:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I've done the Hawaii round trip in the 32-3 and the E381, and both did fine in a variety of sea conditions including 12' seas and 40 knots. The Ericsons are not radical designs, and as such preserve the best of both speed and comfort. Videos of offshore here and here.

Ignacio sailed to Hawaii solo on his E35-2. His blog account is here. Forum member Phil MacPharlane has done at least three Hawaii circuits on his E35-2.