• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-3 Genoa lead cars

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I have the original multi line Merriman genoa lead cars on my boat. I would like to swap them out with new ones that have bearings and possibly an adjustable car system. The problem I am running into is that all the cars I have found on the market today have 3/16" shoulders that go under the T track. With the molded in nonskid there is only room for 1/8" shoulders like on the Merrimans.

Does anyone know of replacements that will fit this boat?

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Garhauer

We replaced our with the stock Garhauer (1.25 inch?) cars with no problem. Hopefully Ericson didn't change too much between our model years...

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Tim,

I'm pretty sure it was the LLC-2UB. I bought 4 of them, one for each track (inner and outer). They slide back and forth fine... no binding. I'd guess that Garhauer uses the same car for all of them, but I don't know for certain. If you can get the right person on the phone they can be real helpful.

I really do like the double-lead cars, but ours were shot and new ones weren't in the budget. Plus with the double tracks I didn't really see the need for how we sail the boat.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Cory. I tried the LLC-2 but the shoulder on the car was too thick. It is a different car than yours though.

I am trying out a friend's Schaefer 32-98 tonight.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Tim,
I got a set of Garhauer genoa blocks with stainless 1/8" track slides. Look just like the LLC-2UB but with stainless bases. I ordered them at the Newport RI boat show, showed them the "LLC-2UB" type and told them I needed stainless bases. No problem, $150 for the pair. Screaming deal and they work very well. If your Merrimen's are shot/unusable I had my older Shaeffer's rebuilt (new sheaves) and you can borrow them while you wait for Garhauer. RT

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Great idea with the SS cars Rob. I still have not tried out the Schaefers yet but will soon. I shouldn't need any loaners as my Merrimans are still functional just not optimum for trimming.

Rob, if you get a chance, please measure how thick the SS is under the track.

Thanks