• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-3 M40 5432 control cable replacement

Chrisr

I'm replacing the control cables. The cables are out and I believe I have a good understanding on replacing the shift cable. Ate there any tricks or anything I should be aware of in replacing the throttle cable? Is there some type of process I should follow to make sure it is adjusted properly?

Thanks,
Chris

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Nothing special I recall. I have the spring throttle installation, in which you turn the engine off by retarding the throttle to its stop.

There's a screw on the cable fitting to adjust the desired spring resistance between idle and shut-down.

Chrisr

Thanks Christian. Appreciate the e prompt reply. Your information on disassembly of the pedestal was very helpful. I’m assuming that if I reassemble the new cable at the pedestal and push the throttle forward all the way that the connection at the engine should also be completely forward?

The new cable is the same size and the connections are a match as well.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
So I undertstand.

I did recall one clamp not easily understood in the gloom and grease. It holds the jacket of the cable, so only the control wire inside moves.

The clamp has a transverse bump on the inside radius, which is intended to fit into a receiving slot in the cable body. As I recall it took me a while to comprehend the design.

shifter cable clamp - Copy.JPG

Chrisr

That looks like the same fitting on my shift cable.

The attached picture shows the throttle cable where it attaches at the engine throttle control. I think all I would need to do is attach the throttle cable at the pedestal and push the throttle at the pedestal all the way forward. I’m assuming at this position I would be at maximum throttle, with the engine running. At this point, I believe, the engine side of the cable would be extended to the point where it would need to connect to the throttle mechanism on the engine?

I just want to be sure that the engine would be at full throttle when it shows full throttle. I’m probably making more out of this than I need too. Thanks for your help.
5AC71AF6-AD68-4658-8B8D-3EA75BCF88B0.jpeg5AC71AF6-AD68-4658-8B8D-3EA75BCF88B0.jpeg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would think that however you install it, the throw will be accurate. The throw is controlled by the lever arm attached to the pedestal throttle control, and so that's how far the cable moves. The length of the cable doesn't matter.

This assumes that the length of the levers in the pedestal and at the engine have not been changed, which they haven't. So it will be the same direct connection and the same throw.