• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35/3 replacement hot water tank?

gabosifat

Member III
Hello everyone,
Has been ages since I've been on the site, very glad it's still running!!! Was going over the boat with my son showing him things in the engine compartment, and I shon my flashlight on the water heater. Happy I did, as it was completely rusted and starting to leak out the bottom (amazing it hadn't ruptured!). I'm guessing it's an original Raritan, and thinking it must have been installed before the engine was. Disconnected all the hoses for coolant and hot and cold water lines and electrical. Only then did I realize it won't come out through the starboard cockpit locker. The current tank is 14 1/2"D, and the cockpit locker is only 13 1/4", so the only way I can get it out will be to saw it in half with my Sawzall.
I'm wondering if any other 35/3 owners have replaced theirs (without removing the engine)?

Next question is, what brand and model of water heater have people used as a replacement?

Many thanks,
Steve Gabbott
Silent Dancer
Gabriola Island B.C.

debonAir

Member III
The laz cover sits on a bit of a lip. I have an arc cut out of that lip on middle of the inner/cockpit side and the sliver that was cut out was re-attached by screwing into backing lumber underneath which is also screwed to the remaining lip. You only see it with the lid open. As you see you only need that extra inch and a little. I'd use a good jig saw with a fine-tooth metal blade and open 'er up a bit so you can get the tank out and drop the same size in. There aren't too many tank choices out there and if you get the same type for a replacement you won't need to re-route any plumbing perhaps.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The laz cover sits on a bit of a lip. I have an arc cut out of that lip on middle of the inner/cockpit side and the sliver that was cut out was re-attached by screwing into backing lumber underneath which is also screwed to the remaining lip. You only see it with the lid open. As you see you only need that extra inch and a little. I'd use a good jig saw with a fine-tooth metal blade and open 'er up a bit so you can get the tank out and drop the same size in. There aren't too many tank choices out there and if you get the same type for a replacement you won't need to re-route any plumbing perhaps.
Friend of mine with an E-33RH had the same problem. The front of the cockpit seat opening had to be cut back about an inch or so. A ship wright did an excellent job of leaving only a hairline where the removable front piece is screwed back on. Not visible when lid is closed. Not very visible when lid is open, either. :)
My observation, from up here in the 3rd balcony, is that I would take the old water heater out in bits; and the tank might come out once the shell is cut away.... and then replace it with a slightly different shape. Lots of great choices nowadays, and some have an SS tank and the shells are made of SS or composite. Also the best opportunity to upgrade any old plumbing or wiring bits in that area "while U R there".
One minor caution: I replaced our OEM tank for similar reasons, with an all-SS version. It was much easier to shoe-horn in a new 4 gallon tank. I really should have used a 5 or 6 gallon tank.

garryh

Member III
as Loren mentions, if you are able to get at it then dismantle it in situ and it will come out easily if you only need an inch or so. The actual casing is only held on with a few screws. In reverse, you might even be able to install the replacement by taking off the 'box' and could even upgrade the insulation blanket while doing it.

gabosifat

Member III
[/QUOT

Thanks to all who replied. Managed to get the tank out by cutting the sheathing off with tin snips, then tank itself came out easily. Now just have to figure out a replacement that will fit. I've heard not so good things about aluminum tanks and corrosion. Supposedly better if the drain tap is replaced with a magnesium anode to protect against corrosion and extend tank life. Have also read some reports about expensive SS tanks that started to leak after a few years where the fittings were welded to the tank. Will keep searching. If anyone has recommendations on brands, would be much appreciated...!
Cheers,
Steve

cbeveridge

Member I
I recently replaced my Seaward S600 tank which had rusted through like Steve's. I don't know hold old the tank was as we bought the boat two years ago. The lazarette opening was a tad too narrow to remove the tank but I was able to remove the tank by removing the screws on one side of the tank that hold the cover on - it created the 1/8 of an inch I needed. We did the same in reverse to get the new tank in. The brackets for securing the tank were longer than the original ones so I had to shorten the front one to fit in the same place.

Andante

I own a 35-3. I removed the outer cover, pipe fittings and insulation. The tank came out through cockpit hatch then.
I replaced the Raritan with a 5 gallon Isotemp. The Isotemp is heated from the engine or 110v A.C. It has proven to be a great unit.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I own a 35-3. I removed the outer cover, pipe fittings and insulation. The tank came out through cockpit hatch then.
I replaced the Raritan with a 5 gallon Isotemp. The Isotemp is heated from the engine or 110v A.C. It has proven to be a great unit.
Do you have any thoughts about whether you miss that extra 1 gallon? I ask because our stock tank was a 6 gallon, and in order to have more room around it I replaced it with a 'high performance' 4 gallon. Works great, but we can really tell, the next morning at anchor, that our usage has mixed too much cold into the remaining hot water and the faucet temp starts getting cooler. Most stock sailboats, FWIW, have a 6 gallon tank, standard.
If we replace this tank, we will try to find a way to fit in the Isotemp 5 gallon.