• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-3 replacing fuel tank

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
E35-3 fuel tank leaks sm.jpg

E35-3 fuel tank leak XY sm.jpg
These are images of the corrosion which seemed bad enough to leak. As with other folks, it’s in the areas which are lowest in the tank.

E35-3 fuel tank ortho sm.jpg
These are some basic dimensions for the tank from our boat. Probably not enough to build a new tank, but perhaps they will be helpful to someone, someday. It appears to only have one baffle. I'm trying to imagine this volume and eight 5 gal. buckets in the same space. It seems smaller than 40 gallons. But that's what the tank says. The fuel was about 1" - 2" below the top when I started pumping out diesel. It filled five 5 gal. jerry cans.

We went to the fabricator today. He said the rest of the tank didn’t look bad at all and he could weld patches. When asked, he said if it were his boat, he’d replace it. (of course to him, his labor is kind of free)

The installation in our boat is really tight. To create ready access to monitor the tank would require rebuilding part of the cabinetry to be removable. And we’d have to check it on a regular basis. If the tank did start leaking again, it could damage the new sole we’ll be installing. Donna and I discussed it and decided to go with a new tank.

I may still try to make some kind of ‘dipstick’ (maybe with aluminum flashing) with some cloth to slide down in front of the tank. After dealing with all this, we’ll likely be paranoid.

The fabricator gave us a rough price and lead time of 3-4 weeks. Once we get the firm quote, I’ll report on that and construction specifics. However, the new tank will have access ports for each side of the baffle.

Prairie Schooner

Fuel Gauge??

E35-3 fuel sender sm.jpg
This is what was in the tank. We’re responsible for providing the capacity monitor and pickup tube. We could put this old one in the new tank, or find a new float/dial unit, or put in a sending unit for a gauge to be mounted elsewhere (near the nav desk?). The tank mounted float gauge seems fine for us. It’s easier to install and has fewer parts to malfunction. But are there compelling reasons to go with an electric/electronic sensor/gauge?

These are the related posts I’ve found here thus far:
- https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/fuel-tank-35-mkii.9315/
- https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/fuel-gauge-whoas.19904/#post-157233
- https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/fuel-sending-units.19417/
- https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/e26-fuel-gauge-sender-and-ground.18913/

Thanks,
Jeff

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Prior thread with pix of our sender and also the gauge mounted near the main power panel:
That gauge and sender are still working with no problems. Our OEM tank did have the pivot type float on an arm, as pictured above. It's really nice to have the tank level info adjacent to the main panel at the nav desk.
As built, the cushion needed to be lifted aside and then I'd remove the panel above the tank top in order to read the gauge. If doing this again, I would follow the same design parameters as our replacement tank.

Prairie Schooner

We got the quote. $1150. Gulp. - But, we're going to proceed. "The bends are rather complex." This price includes inspection ports. .125 aluminum.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
We got the quote. $1150. Gulp. - But, we're going to proceed. "The bends are rather complex." This price includes inspection ports. .125 aluminum.
Jeff, it's just a single boat buck! I actually think you're getting a good deal, mine was $750 for a 19 gallon aluminum tank in 2016...

After I had it made and installed I thought I should have specified a drainage port at the front bottom of the tank so I could easily drain any sludge or water out. I'm not sure if this is up to ABYC spec but I would certainly draw a little sample out every so often if I had such a thing.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The floating-arm style gauge I bought wouldn't fit in my boat because the arm hit a baffle. I went with a similar model in which the float rises and falls vertically, and doesn;t need "room."

Before ordering, probably wait to have the tank in hand, since depth of tank and location of baffles can matter.

Prairie Schooner

The floating-arm style gauge I bought wouldn't fit in my boat because the arm hit a baffle. I went with a similar model in which the float rises and falls vertically, and doesn;t need "room."

Before ordering, probably wait to have the tank in hand, since depth of tank and location of baffles can matter.
The vertical float on a spiral strip is what I'm looking at Christian. I wondered if it would get stuck more than the floating arm style. Have you had good experience with it?

Prairie Schooner

Jeff, it's just a single boat buck! I actually think you're getting a good deal, mine was $750 for a 19 gallon aluminum tank in 2016...

After I had it made and installed I thought I should have specified a drainage port at the front bottom of the tank so I could easily drain any sludge or water out. I'm not sure if this is up to ABYC spec but I would certainly draw a little sample out every so often if I had such a thing.
$1.15BB sounds a lot better, doesn't it? (Do I recall correctly, it's Doug?) And with your price, I feel a little less bad about our quote.
The drain port would be tempting, tho I've heard others say it's verboten by ABYC or Coast Guard. The other thing is there is no room in the 35-3. In my post #19 you might be able to see (area A) where there is less than 1" clearance between the tank front and the cabinetry for the Q-berth. And about the same below it. I'll just rely on the inspection ports to look at things. I got fairly adept at using the 12v and hand pumps to pull out fuel.

fuel extraction a.jpg

fuel extraction b.jpg

Even after cleaning, the electric pump wouldn't draw through the inline filter so I switched to the hand pump I use for oil changes. The filters are cheap enough to be disposable.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
wondered if it would get stuck more than the floating arm style [float fuel sensor]

The vertical design seems to work fine, I have about 125 gallons on it now.

You know, I never believed in fuel gauges (or refrigeration). I have to admit I have been enjoying both.