• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-II holding tank

grn3500gt

So I have looked around and have not really found an updated source for black water Holding tanks for the E35-II. It currently has no holding tank and seems it was removed by the previous owner. It looks like it was located in the bilge under the settee nearest to the head. I have searched online and on here but most posts lead me to companies that have gone out of business or no longer carry the tank of size and shape that we need.

We're looking for one of three things:

A company that sells holding tanks that would be plug and play in the original position for the E35-II;

The original measurements of the original tank so that perhaps I can get one custom made (not keen on this option because those things are pricey);

A good alternative tank that you know fits this boat, will be durable, and not stink. (the rubber bag styles seem to have mixed reviews but the consensus is that they smell up the boat).

This is a liveaboard boat and My girlfriend has been really interested in a holding tank so we dont have to walk all the way to the marina bathroom. Im thinking maybe this would be a good chrismas present for the boat. :D

also if you have any experience with them what do you think of composting toilets? they are pricey but how much of a pain in the butt are they to keep clean etc. are they worth it?

Thank you all for your time and help!

Last edited:

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
+1 on Ronco. When I replaced my holding tank, I called them up and spoke to the floor manager, who was very helpful. According to him, they built all the tanks for the E-38's (not sure what other Ericsons they did too). The holding tank was a very strange three dimensional shape which fit the exact contours of where it was placed on the boat. Luckily they still had the molds, so they made me a new one, and gave me some tips on how to improve the original design and where to put all the outlets.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
"Rubber Bag Holding Tank"

Had one of these on a previous boat for 15 years.....

For a live aboard boat......FORGET IT....

This was on a boat only used April thru October, and week ends and Wed nights only AND ONLY IN CASES OF DIRE EMERGENCY......

All of this taken into account, and when it had been used it was thoroughly rinsed when it was emptied.....also a deoderant was used (forgot the name but it came in Large foil packets and when opened its odor was overpowering, and one had better not allow any to get anywhere but in the head.......it made a green stain that took forever to clean) and after this period of time it had to be replaced (square poly tank)......also, the hoses over time will absord odor.....

Nuff said

Blue Chip

Member III
Remember folks...the oder is DRASTICALLY reduced if you do two things. Get rid of old fashioned smell retaining hoses, and most of all. FLUSH WITH FRESH WATER. Half of what you smell is "stuff" in the sea water. Shore lines don't always smell great for a reason. Rigging a "Y" valve system off of the water supply to the sink in the head is elsewhere on this site, and BOY does that make a difference.

markvone

Sustaining Member
+2 Ronco

Call Ronco. Tell them the model and year and they will tell you the original tank model, size and dimensions. They probably have drawings/pictures. They also probably have the molds to build a new one. You can then re-install to the original specs which would be the most straightforward way to go. Your location sounds right. You can double check to see where the hoses would have run through the bulkheads. My E36RH has the tank under the settee next to the head bulkhead similar location to yours. The area under the head sink, between the head itself and the tank is where all the head hoses run.

You may want to wait for a few E35-II owners to chime in with any problems with the stock setup and any improvements that you could implement while you have the chance.

Also read Peggy Hall's book "Get Rid of Boat Odors" for more tips like the two Blue Chip mentions above.

Here's a third tip I got from Peggy's book:

Increase the vent hose size. I'm my case I went from 5/8 tubing (not san hose) to 1 1/2 full san hose for the vent. This the #1 odor reducer per Peggy Hall. Worked for me. I also added fresh water flush via the sink drain and used the best san hose I could get. It stinks less, lasts longer and it's an easy job installing new, clean hose. The longer it lasts, the longer you have until you have to do the hard, stinky, rip-out of the old used hose.

I added an external tank level sensor while I had my tank out.

I also added a clear view port in the top of my tank and a matching access under my settee cushion for visual check on level. This actually works way better than the sensor for less money and no power needed, just a flashlight.

Mark

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1200.jpg
    IMG_1200.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_1269.jpg
    IMG_1269.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 310

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Mark,
Does your clear plastic port in your holding tank leak or release any odor or does it seal tightly? I've thought about adding one but am concerned about any odor as our holding tank is directly below the v-berth.
Frank

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Ronco is the place. We replaced both our water and holding tanks with direct replacements from them.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Frank,

The port is a Beckson from West Marine. You can see the black rubber o-ring in the picture of the tank out of the boat. It does seal up air tight and there is no smell. I also sealed the port to the tank during the port install as well. You could use the smallest clear port available for level checking if you don't need interior access to the tank. I needed interior access to install the new vent fitting, so I used a 6" port. Using the clear version to check the tank didn't actually hit me until I was looking at the ports in the store. BTW, I still haven't gotten my new SCAD Solo tank monitor to work!

I also upgraded my vent from too small (5/8") to huge (1.5"), per Peggy Hall's book. This helps aerate the tank and reduce the smelly anaerobic organisms. You can see the plugged old 5/8ths fitting and the new (bright white) 1.5" vent in the picture. I thought about adding a second vent on the opposite face (aft end) of the tank to get flow through venting, but it was easier to try the monster vent first. Peggy Hall generally recommends 3/4 - 1" vent line depending on the tank/vent layout. Since my vent hose is short (good), but 2-3 feet vertical (bad) and my original setup had room for any size vent hose in the existing space I decided to go huge. I added a standard, stainless, wide open, 1.5" thru-hull at the rub rail where the old vent fitting was to further reduce air flow restriction. I could feel air flow down in the tank coming through the vent when I was re-installing the tank, so I know the 1.5" vent is a big improvement.

I finished the head/tank overhaul last winter. I have not had any odors this season inside or out. Previously, with sewage in the holding tank, I could get head odors outside in the cockpit when someone flushed the head. I believe the biggest improvement in reducing my head odors was by reducing odors in the tank with the big vent hose and changing all of the hoses.

Mark

ConchyDug

Member III
I just had the holding tank and head removed to make way for a nature's head. I also had the two associated thruhulls removed and glassed over. I liveboard too, so I wanted more storage and less maintenance. After I install it this week I can update down the road if interested. I figured nobody had any input on composters so I'd throw my two cents out.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
many of the early 35-2s did not come with a black water tank. It was not law until 1974. mine has the battery bank in the setae behind the bulkhead, and the holding tank under the port side setae. I have alsi heard of them being put under the port side of the v birth.

Zbingham

Member I
How is the composting head?

I just had the holding tank and head removed to make way for a nature's head. I also had the two associated thruhulls removed and glassed over. I liveboard too, so I wanted more storage and less maintenance. After I install it this week I can update down the road if interested. I figured nobody had any input on composters so I'd throw my two cents out.

How is that composting head working out? Considering going that route on mine. You should start a thread about it!