• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-III portlight questions

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I am looking to replace my original Bomar portlights. I am not sure if they are smoked or not. They are so crazed it is hard to tell. Does anyone know? They appear to have a slight bluish tint but I would not call that smoked. My Lewmar hatches deffinately have a smoke tint to them but this could be different across manufacturers.

Thanks

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Best way to tell if you've got smoked or tinted portlights would be to get a piece of clear glass (or acrylic) and hold it up to the portlight and check out the contrast. A piece of white paper (Xerox or laserprinter paper) might work too, just to give you a white reference. My 1980 has clear acrylic, badly frosted.

Steve

Member III
not clear

See below pic, my 84 35-3 ports are not clear, definitely a darker color. You might want to try calling Bomar in NH, they may have "blanks" available, you would have to bottom tap the hinges and rout the dog insets. -Indicate your considering Lewmar replacement ports but would like to keep the OEM Bomar, that might get you some extra attention! :devil:

Steve

Attachments

• Port.JPG
    Port.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 105

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Are you sure those are stock Steve. I am 99% sure mine are clear and they have a frame around the lens and the seal is on the lens frame not on the installed frame like your photo shows.

I spoke with Bomar. They really have no idea what may have been installed in these boats. Based on measurement, I found I can replace mine with the N3410 with a clear lens. I asked for a discount considering my units are not servicable and they gave me half off. It was an old promotion that had ended but they honored it anyway. And yes, I did mention my hatches were Lewmar and I was considering Lewmar portlights.

Steve

Member III
Not sure, now you mention it

Hey, like a lot (most) of us, were not the original owner, I can only account for the last 6 years. It's possible they were replaced at one time, they are Bomar, perhaps the smoke was an option. Personally I think the smoke cuts the sunlight down enough to darken the boat interior. I'm sure the UV isn't cut compared to clear. Smoke gives a Little early evening privacy but not much at night. The amount of crazing on them is about at the point were I too would consider replacing in the near future. (N3410 - thanks) I guess a smoke positive would be they hide the crazing better then clear.

Good luck.. keep us posted on the project

Steve

Member III
Fyi ...

Just snapped another of the port closed as a comparison to yours and others reading, perhaps someone can chime in on the progression of ports/hatches from year to year or model to model. Suspect EY negotiated every year and got the deal of building season, may explain the fluctuation? I'm sure the EY buying-agent ate well !!

Attachments

• port closed.JPG
    port closed.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 114

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Portlights

Our '84 35-III (#163) has the same "smoked" bomar portlights as Steve, but not in nearly as nice of shape. I'm pretty confident they are original. On the list of projects is to somehow refurbish them (replaceing can get pricey). The acrylic is crazed, the screens have seen better days, and I can't get them to seal 100%.

Looking at past threads here at EYC it appears there was some variation in the opening portlights Ericson installed.

Cory Bolton

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Maybe mine are not stock('85 #218 I think). They have no screens, nor do I see any way to attach screens. They are very crazed. I am sure someone out there could date them based on craziness:D sort of like carbon dating!

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
The ports on my '83 E38 look just like Steve's, smoked acrylic. I believe them to be original. They are very crazed, have no screens and barely seal. Bomar is less than helpful via email. I would like to simply replace the lenses and seals but they can't give me a straight answer on lens availablity. I am going to see if a local plastic shop will make new lenses for me. RT