• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35 mkII pedestal

Barr88

Member II
I'm looking to replace my steering pedestal and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions. I don't mind paying up for Edson products but I didn't see one on their site thy looked similar to the one on my E35 mkII
Any advice?

Glyn Judson

Lack of response to your pedestal replacement situation.

Dear Barr88, Given that Edson is pretty much the only game in town, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what you kind of feedback you need. Some internal upper parts can be gotten from Edson and slightly modified (machining) to work on our Yacht Specialties binnacles and certainly bronze below deck sheaves are readily available (again Edson) because they're pretty much generic. Search these archives using selected key words to gather more information about Edson-modified parts, etc. Sorry not to have mush more to offer, maybe you can be more specific and others will/can chime in. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA with functioning YS binnacle.

Barr88

Member II
Thanks glynn. I'm starting to think that I may just strip and refinish the good old ys pedestal and put a nice new binnacle on top. However, I'm thinking about a way to add a nice wide spanner price to mount some instruments to, mount the metal bar around it(whatever the actual name of that price is) and mount a cockpit table. If anyone has any ideas for this it would be great. There is a great picture online of a e35 named wassail. I see in that pic they have a similar setup. I'm going broke!

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
The pedestal on our Ericson was refinished with spray paint and some new parts and looks great! I would certainly recommend doing that if you think yours can be reclaimed. Local machine shops may be able to help with building parts if you need new ones.

Frank

beachologist

Member I
I am in the process of switching my 35-2 to a tiller. I've disconnected the steering cables, attached the tiller, and have gone sailing twice with the tiller. Wow! She's so much easier to steer. I won't be going back so if you need my vintage pedestal, I'll be selling it soon.

CaptDan

Member III
mount a cockpit table. If anyone has any ideas for this it would be great.

Not to be the voice of gloom 'n doom, but if you have the stock mainsheet setup, adding stuff to your binnacle may invite sudden painful experiences. Among these - watching your varnished and/or electronic appendages fly through the cockpit during a gybe:confused:

Seriously, the E35II traveler/mainsheet can be a tenacious creature - even without binnacle enhancements. Don't ask me about the time my precious Danforth compass went airborne because I forgot to tend the mainsheet before a swift gybe. A $225 lesson I won't soon forget.:esad:

So, whatever modifications you intend, at the end of it all you still have to sail the boat. And if the maisheet placement's not working, you may need to consider a relocation.

Just saying...........

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Barr88

Member II
That's very good advice dan. We used to race the boat retry hard and have deffiately had our fair share of out of control jibes. However I am restoring the boat to be mostly a cruiser. Thinking about getting a c&c 25 to race. With that said, it could still create problems. I'm going to have to think this one out some more. Thanks