• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35 standing rigging tension

treilley

Sustaining Partner
The PO of my boats states he set the tensions as follows:

lowers 500lbs
uppers 1000lbs
backstay 1400lbs

Can any confirm or correct these settings?

Emerald

Hi,

to answer this, you need to know the diameter of the wire e.g. 7/32, 1/4 etc., and if possible, it's alloy type 304 or 316. The last part may be hard. If it is original, it is probably 304, if new, probably 316. So, once you know the size and type of stainless (and for reference, your standing rigging is called 1x19 wire rope) you can look up the breaking strength of the wire. As a baseline, it is often recommended to set the tension for somewhere around 10%-15% of the breaking strength.

Here are two links to tables of wire size and strength for the two alloys. First 304:

http://loosco.stage.thomasnet.com/v...and-non-flexible-type-302-304-1792?&forward=1

and now 316:

http://loosco.stage.thomasnet.com/v...ype-316-extra-corrosion-resistant-?&forward=1

In general, lower shrouds don't carry as much tension as upper shrouds. The basic numbers the prior owner gave you probably will fit the above guidelines.

There have been a variety of very good posts on tuning rigging Check the tool bar at the top of this page for the "Search" option.

Here's the results for searching on "Tune rigging":

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/search.php?searchid=50105

This ought to keep you busy for awhile :egrin:

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Yeah, but

Keep in mind, setting the rig to a specific tension is only part of the job-you could do this and have the whole rig off to one side.

You can use these settings to start with with, after you establish the top of the mast is in the middle of the boat, but by the time you are through final on the water tuning, you have not saved very much time, since final tuning takes place while sailing in enough breeze to load the rig up (about 10 knots TWS), and you need to look at the rig on each tack to determine if the mast remains in column, or sags off at the top, in the middle or the lower section, and that the lee (unloaded) shrouds are not too loose, etc....

The guidelines we have established on previous posts deal with this process in more detail.

I guess the point is there is no way to avoid tuning while sailing (if you want it really dialed in)....
Cheers

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Seth

I guess I should have mentioned the whole process in my original post. My question was based on the fact that the mast was aligned properly and that these were safe starting tensions before going out tuning on the water. The boat needs to be sailed to my home port and I plan on doing final tuning then.