• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35II Bimini

CaptDan

Member III
I'm thinking of adding a bimini this season - to shade our noggins from all that intense Pacific Northwest Sunshine:rolleyes:

Have any E35-2 owners with stock mainsheet/traveler/boom arrangement successfully installed a bimini? If so, how large a bimini did you manage? Any installation hassles, or need to relocate hardware? Etc Etc.

Were you able to adapt an off-the-shelf Taylor bimini, or did you have to go the custom route?

Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks!

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

CaptDan

Member III
http://www.iversonsdesign.com/dodgers.html

Go for it! After all, it's only money...

:egrin:

Loren

Thanks Loren! This looks close to what I'm envisioning:

http://www.iversonsdesign.com/images/photo_pages/2003_0201B/2003_0201B.html

Not really interested in a dodger - though it looks like these guys design some beauties. I've grown accustomed to that forward visibility, though with a short bimini, I might invite some consternation from guests sitting up near the companionway. :nerd:

Will give 'em a call.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Glyn Judson

Designing a Bimini.

Dan, If you end up having any control over the design, consider four things. 1. Have the frame made from 1" stainless, not 7/8" aluminum. It'll be far more sturdy and will actually provide something to grab on to in a hurry. Additionally, try to avoid canvas straps as the final tie down in the frame design. There's no reason for them and they can easily be substituted with a length of stainless tubing, two end fittings and a Fast pin, the result being a much stronger assembly that can still be folded back if need be. 2. Give thought to the possibility of some day adding a dodger and have the Bimini designed accordingly, that is to say, consider having a zipper added to the front edge (under a flap that will protect the zipper teeth from the sun) or at least space for one to be added at a later date. 3. The front edge of the Bimini should be 1" lower than the rear. That way any water will run off far from the back of your neck and will ultimately please you more than having one that drains from the sides or back edge. 4. Have a simple belt loop of Sunbrella sewn under the center of the front tube. With it there, you'll then have a great place to hang a cockpit light for meals or entertaining, etc in the cockpit after dusk. Keep us posted, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Glyn Judson

Oops, forgot to explain the zipper.

Dan, I forgot to tell you why a zipper on the leading edge of the Bimini might be an advantage. Our Bimini and dodger can be connected with a Sunbrella insert that zips into place. With it in, a dry, shady space of over ten feet is created from the front windows to the back of the Bimini. Our traveler is on the bridge deck so I added a snap shackle to the lower main sheet block that allows me to relocate the sheet and boom over either toe rail when on a mooring, anchor, etc. With a thought towards using some of the insert under way, I had four zippers installed, two on the aft edge of the dodger and two on the forward edge of the Bimini. They all unzip toward the center of the insert which allows one to shade one side of the cockpit by unzipping and flopping one half over the other and snapping them together at the side. Then the main sheet can be reattached to the traveler and the high side of the cover can provide shade. For us it's a real consideration when returning from Catalina Island in the summer on a hot sunny day. Our two Golden Retrievers seek out any shade when ever possible and with half an insert in place, they are happy to curl up in the shade provided. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

CaptDan

Member III
Hi Glyn,

Thanks for all the EXCELLENT tips! I hadn't considered tubing diameter, but I'm with you - I want sturdiness, as well as a potential monkey bar if the need arises.:)

I also like your snap shackle concept, allowing varied ways to position the boom to accomodate the bimini.

Your point is well taken about the dodger, and designing the bimini accordingly. But I'm thinking for the immediate future, a good bimini would serve our needs.

Appreciate your sound advice - as always - and good to hear from you!

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Mike Gritten posted some nice pictures on 10/08/07 of his bimini. I can't get this computer to post a link.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Bud H.

Member II
Here are some pics of the Dodger and Bimini I had made for Queenie. Like Glyn says you may want to tie the Bimini into a dodger someday and so a zipper at the front end to zip to the dodger would be a wise precaution. On our Bimini there is a zipper to the dodger and a small zipper at the back where a key hole goes around the back stay. Also at the key hole is a heavy duty snap connector on an adjustable tether and this snaps onto the back stay holding the back of the bimini up. Behind the key hole is a sleeve running the whole width of the bimini. A one inch diameter piece of PVC tubing slides into the sleeve the whole width and is secured with bungee cords to the back of the boat holding the whole thing taught. Another feature we had incorporated into the bimini when we had it made is a full length zipper on both the port and starboard sides so that an 18” addition can be zipped onto each the side. When it rains this allows us to direct the rain outside of the lifelines and keep the cockpit nice and dry. We designed this whole dodger, bimini on the back of a napkin and had a local upholstery shop build it for us. We are on the dry side of the state and this was only the third dodger this shop had ever made but it turned out pretty well we think and we love it.

Attachments

• Pictures 005.jpg
    Pictures 005.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Pictures 010.jpg
    Pictures 010.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Pictures 012.jpg
    Pictures 012.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Pictures 011.jpg
    Pictures 011.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 137

Bud H.

Member II
I go out to the marina most Saturday mornings to make sure the old girl is still a float. I’ll take some pics showing more detail and post them Sat. afternoon or Sunday.

chaco

Member III
The Cockpit Traveler Bimini Mystery

Bud...we are on the edge of our seats to find the solution to the dreaded
Cockpit Traveler Bimini Mystery :rolleyes:
How did you split the Dodger / Bimini at the Mainsheet :confused:
Most of our fellow owners have Travelers mounted on the cabin in front of
the Dodger.

CaptDan

Member III
Hi Bud,

Thanks for chiming in! I like your design a lot. And yes - a few more detailed shots of the bimini would be most appreciated.

As regards the E35-2 traveler:

I would sooner scuttle our prized E35 before I'd THINK of moving the traveler.

I single hand the boat a lot, and immediate, unfettered access to the mainsheet/traveler is absolutely something I couldn't live without. Just my opinion, but the roomy E35II cockpit could become a 100 yard dash in a heartbeat, as you stumble ass-over-tea kettle on the bridgedeck to drop the traveler car in a blow. And even with the traveler's lines lead aft, it's not the same advantage as having the unit right there in front of you.

Besides, I think Gareth is spot on when he says the coachroof isn't designed to handle those loads - at least not without some substantial beefing up.

So - you'll have to pry my mainsheet from my cold dead hands.:cool:

Thanks again!

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

Mike.Gritten

Member III
We have our bimini in our 35II up all the time - sailing, at the dock, powering, on the hard while up on stands :rolleyes: You will be limited by two things, the backstay (you will have to incorporate a zippered/velcro'd slit to enable the stay to go through the center of the bimini); the mainsheet and traveller (the front edge of the bimini MUST IN NO WAY be able to foul these). We had ours custom built for our boat and are extremely pleased with it. Ours has panels that enclose the entire cockpit giving us another "room" we use constantly as we live aboard. We have installed a snap shackle on the bottom of the mainsheet tackle that allows it to be quickly removed and clipped to a genoa-track-mounted padeye on the port rail. This clears the way to install the roof panel between the front of the bimini and the aft edge of the dodger.

Last edited:

CaptDan

Member III
Hi Mike,

Thanks for weighing in. I just looked at your pix you posted on this topic in October. Seems I wasn't the first to ask this question.:nerd:

You did an excellent job on the design, though I must say, I'd be happy with just the bimini at this point. At first, I was hoping to perhaps adapt an off-the-shelf unit, but after all the discussion of stainless vs aluminum, the last thing I need is to fly a canvas 'kite' over my head.:egrin:

Appreciate the feedback; it's going in the hopper along with all the rest of the good advice.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Bud H.

Member II
Here are some more detailed pics of our Bimini. I misspoke in my prior post about the backstay going through the key hole. It is of course the main sheet that passes through. Then a snap attaches to the back stay. If I had it to do over I would add a triangular section at the forward part of the side curtain to fill in the gap between the curtain and the dodger. Lets rain and sun shine in when your trying to take a nap.

Attachments

• DSCF0607.jpg
    DSCF0607.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF0608.jpg
    DSCF0608.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF0610.jpg
    DSCF0610.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF0612.jpg
    DSCF0612.jpg