• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38-200 Autopilot Question ??

Doug177

Member III
Yes. I cut down the big plastic spacer bushing by about the same thickness as the autopilot drive arm. I then made thin spacers out of the cut-off portion in case I needed to shim it up or down any. The trick when placing the hydraulic ram athwartships is to get it as high and as forward as you can because the boat hull rapidly gets wider that way. As it is, the back end of the ram clears the inside of the hull by about a finger thickness worth as it swings back and forth. I am now trying to figure out an easily removeable cover panel for the ram-swing area so that no lines, fenders, etc get caught back in there.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Yes. I cut down the big plastic spacer bushing by about the same thickness as the autopilot drive arm. I then made thin spacers out of the cut-off portion in case I needed to shim it up or down any. The trick when placing the hydraulic ram athwartships is to get it as high and as forward as you can because the boat hull rapidly gets wider that way. As it is, the back end of the ram clears the inside of the hull by about a finger thickness worth as it swings back and forth. I am now trying to figure out an easily removeable cover panel for the ram-swing area so that no lines, fenders, etc get caught back in there.
Cool. In my boat the quadrant sits exactly on top of the fiberglass rudder sleeve so I would have to do drastic glass surgery or mount the ram to the quadrant, both of which seem like bad ideas. This the wheel pilot for me.

What size battery bank do you have in ampHours?

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Cool. In my boat the quadrant sits exactly on top of the fiberglass rudder sleeve so I would have to do drastic glass surgery or mount the ram to the quadrant, both of which seem like bad ideas. This the wheel pilot for me.

What size battery bank do you have in ampHours?
And good work on all the belowdecks construction. Lots of boat yoga.