• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38-200 companionway width?

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
If anyone is at their boat in the next couple of days, or has dropboards laying around, or perhaps old plans or drawings - What is the maximum width of the companionway on the 38-200?

I want to bring the dropboards home for the winter to refinish, and as templates to router new acrylic boards. I have a 4'x4' sheet of 1/2" plywood to cut to shape as a winter "door". But that's just a bit too big to fit in the car to take to the boat. I could put it on the roof, but would like to have it inside if possible for the 1.5 hour freeway drive. So if I can trim some width it'll go in, but how much?

I'm not sure if the companionway differs in size from the E38/381 with the change to the recessed layout?

Such a minor thing, but it doesn't hurt to ask does it?
As always, thank you in advance.
-Tyler

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
At least consider a one-piece acrylic hatch board. Best thing I ever did.

I'm pretty sure our companionway sizes are different.

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
At least consider a one-piece acrylic hatch board. Best thing I ever did.

I'm pretty sure our companionway sizes are different.
I have considered it. But for now I have some 1/2" acrylic scraps leftover after replacing my hatch lenses that will make nice dropboards, but not enough for a full door. I also don't really mind taking in and out the individuals boards, and there's really handy storage for them in the aft-cabin of the '200. It may still be something I do down the road though.

Thank you for the video on the hatch lens replacement by the way. It was very helpful! I was bit gun shy from the uglyness of my deadlight rebuild but your video gave me confidence.

Our companionways probably aren't all that different though. Care to take a guess at the width? I just need to make sure I don't trim too much off of 4' to get the plywood sheet to fit in the car.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I had a 1/4" acrylic hatch board which I cracked the my first night on the boat. I replaced it with a 1/2" piece recently. Since the 1/4" board was cracked and didn't fit very well, I started from scratch with a new template. I made the template by ripping 2" strips of 1/4" plywood at home, trimming them to fit on the boat, and hot gluing them together. This allowed me to keep the cracked 1/4" board in place while I took the template home. You could use that to make a plywood temporary hatch board so you could refinish the existing boards at home or you could use it to make a new one piece acrylic board. (I can't for the life of me recall why I had a hammer to do this project)

20200814_113241.jpg20200717_131131.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tyler, this page says I measured the companionway at 27". Not accurate enough for fabrication.

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
Thanks for the replies. I ended up just strapping the plywood sheet on the roof and cutting to size at the boat.

27" is almost spot on. Given the asymmetry of the companionway and the play in the hatchboards that's about as close as I can measure it.

Very roughly, in case it helps anyone else out :
Top - 27"
Stbd - 20 3/4"
Port - 21 3/4"
Bot - 22"

Measure it with a micrometer, mark it in chalk, and cut it with an axe.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
That's really interesting. Your top and bottom measurements are the same as the template I made for my 35-3. I got 22 for Port and 21.5 for stbd. (Thanks for the excuse to get away from my WFH desk and venture into the garage)