• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 Inner or Outer Track for Trimming Head-sail

AlanO

Member II
I watched Christian's recent video of his maiden sail with a new main and genoa. Congrats on the new sails!. I noticed that Christian was using the inner tracks for trimming the new 130% genoa. The question of whether to use the inner or outer track for trimming the head-sail has been in the back of my mind since purchasing our E38-200 last June. What factors are people considering when choosing a track?

Thanks.

Alan

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'll have to switch to the gunwale track for broad reach with this sail, since the sheet bears on the lifelines. One penalty of a low clew.

To windward it's the inner track for sure, the rig is designed for close sheeting.

Snatch blocks make the switch easier, but they're expensive and they flop around.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I've always wondered how others have done this. I've tried taking the lazy sheet to the windward outboard track then tacking. I've also tried taking the lazy sheet to the leeward track then falling off. Sometimes tacking isn't ideal, but the down side of the other method is running out of winches (I don't have secondaries) . So what do other people do? (yes I know setting up at the dock is an option, but I don't plan ahead that well)

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
When crewing for friends we would tie an extra short sheet on and run it through a snatch block on the toe rail. But, on their boats we had secondary jib winches. We'd shift between the short sheet and the original if/as the wind was shifty. We'd remove it before tacking. I think with our boat we could make the outboard cabin top winches work.