• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 interior rehab, big job!!!

upnorthfrank

Member II
Pics will be forthcoming, also a link to my personal site. My name is Frank (you may have guessed) & I'm a woodworker w/ a fair amount of professional experience in a variety of disciplines. This project represents my first major foray into boat carpenter-ing, a new & exciting challenge!!! (emphasis on the challenge)-

She's pretty much FUBAR in the cabin. All the original bulkheads seem to be in place, teak ply de-laminating everywhere, the way it likes to do. Settee/dinette seating is gone, as is most of the woodwork in the v-berth. Galley is gone, nav area is still intact for the most part. Wiring seems to be in place, but the head is gone, shower floor is there. Thru-hulls are in place & turn nicely.

Engine runs nice, big plus (knock on fiberglass) but needs a new tach & surely a bunch of love. Externally she's in not bad shape, needs a few things here & there, a dorade vent, a portlight starboard aft footwell, not too much though. She has the optional water tank forward, other tanks (except fuel) are out but sitting in the cabin & in good shape-

I'll obviously know a lot more as I go here, just getting started. It's hotter'n a pistol here & I got my work cut out for me. Stay tuned...

P.S. I'm wondering if there's an E38 on Galveston bay or thereabouts that I could take a look at for a reference?!? I've seen a couple of different floor plans out there. My plan is to bring her mostly back to her original layout but enhanced w/ the joinery details, woodwork upholstery etc.-

If my intuition serves me correctly, she's hull #77?!? I know a little of her history, never been wrecked or sunk, some negligence though for real-

More later-

upnorthfrank

Member II
That sure looks like her. Right now we're getting tooled up for extensive cleaning, clearing out & documenting everything contained within, starting @ the forward & moving aft. Stripping/scraping/grinding off old panelling, getting her to the point where we can start tracing out & upgrading the electrical, mechanical etc. before we start putting her back together-

Any & all help is greatly appreciated!!! I'm like a babe in the woods here.....

upnorthfrank

Member II
Ah, a typo?!?

I'm missing the porthole on the port side footwell.....but I found a brand new one onboard while removing trash, HA!!! Yeah baby:)

CSMcKillip

Just my 2 cents

I located a set of bluelines on our 33. All of these boats were constructed from the same materials, I will be at our boat over the week and can give you depth and heights to galley counters, nav table, ect. If you want. I don't know if you looked at the bluelines I uploaded http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=8974
But this might give you an idea of what goes where. I would also ask mr. Bruce King if they have any sets of drawings. As you can see from our drawings there is not shop detail or submittals of products used.

Now, I first would go and get a 130.00 window ac unit and get the boat cool. The floor is 3/4 ply, we got ours from boultler.

Good luck.

upnorthfrank

Member II
Hey thanks CS!!! I'm planning to get some a/c going here after I get her all cleaned out. I was looking for an RV rooftop unit to put over a hatch to keep the companionway clear, but I can't find a used one for under $350, so I figured I'd make her ready so I can pull the a/c into it's place behind me when I drop into the cabin & then stay in there awhile w/o having to move it going in & out w/ stuff-

I have pics!!! & I'll be uploading them soon. My website isn't ready yet so I'll throw 'em up on here for all to see the bewilderment before me-

The more I dig into this the clearer it becomes, & w/ my remodeling background, it all seems pretty straightforward. It's just a beautiful boat that's currently disguised as a crack house to keep folks away:)

As far as electrical & mechanical are concerned, the plots available here are just fine. I could wing it w/ the seating areas etc. but the v-berth has some angles & different levels to it that maybe difficult to reproduce-

Thanks again, I'll try & get some pics up here...oh, & for everyone's info there definitely was 2' of water in there, you can see the high water mark on the bulkheads-

Touchrain

Member III
I have a 1980 e38 that I am working on every day to get ready to head to California in early to mid-August. Let me know if you want any measurements or pics. I've done about half the stuff you're going to need to do. Might actually be easier in some cases to have it stripped to start.

upnorthfrank

Member II
You're a blessing.....thanks a bunch!!! Yes I'm down w/ all that. I just logged on for a quick look here, will hit it hard in the a.m.-

& thanks again!!!