• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 (& many others) deck non-skid questions

upnorthfrank

Member II
I have questions regarding non-skid on my E38 which is the same as this Columbia 26MKII that I have here. The PO of the C26 painted over the non-skid (& the rest of the deck). The paint is flaking up on the non-skid but seems to be sticking well to the rest of the deck. This is probably a simple question to someone who paints boats for a living, & I have no plans for painting my E38 deck until she splashes, sails & then comes out for her first hull job w/ her new family. At that point my plan is to paint her a trick new color(s) top & bottom, along w/ any other work her exterior needs-

So, feel free to take the next couple years responding to this. I'm not necessarily interested in the non-skid being the same color as the deck, but I'd like it looking fresh. I'm wondering, is the non-skid a stick-on or glue-on product?!? I figured if nothing else I'd just mask it, plenty of masking anyway, what's a few more days?!? In a couple years:)

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
There is a product called Kiwi non-skid coating, which is getting very good reviews. It is painted on and apparently gives very good traction without abrading knees and feet, and seems to last well. It can be tinted to whatever colour you want. Others may have more information about it.

Frank

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
AFAIK, the non-skid on E38's is molded into the deck from the factory. If yours appears to be anything other than that I would guess that someone has changed it.

That said, I have had good success in my sailing dinghy with Interlux's non-skid additive. Basically its fine granules of "something" that is dusted on wet paint and then topcoated. I find it works very well, is not particularly hard on the knees, hands, etc. as I sit in the dink to sail it.... I wouldn't want to fall and slide any distance on it but I can tell you that the grip is outstanding, you are unlikely to slip in the first place.

RT

upnorthfrank

Member II
Thanks for the info Rob, the mat'l we're talking here is factory stuff. My question now is, why is the paint flaking off the non-skid panels on the C26MKII?!? Maybe the surface wasn't prepped properly?!? As I said, the paint sticks to the rest of the deck OK.....

Hey thanks again, looking forward to more......

CSMcKillip

On the C26, there may have been places that the deck was not prepaired correctly, snap some photos and let's take a look.

On our Capri 25- I did a repair job of replacing a section of the deck due to being T- boned. I cleaned the deck and rebuilt the non-skid using fiberglass and resin, I then regelcoated all of the nonskid. It has held up very well and the only drawback has been how shiny the gelcoat turned out. It was a very simple process and I didn't have to use paint.

This might be an option you want to use, I would be happy to give instruction, or point you in the right direction.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
That looks like inadequate sanding before the paint was applied. I painted my nonskid 15 years ago and while it needs to be redone it doesn't look anything like that.