• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E39B pedestal base mounted backwards ?

Sven

Seglare
Senta has a ~5' emergency tiller. Looking at that beautiful long tiller I don't see how it could possibly be used in the small space behind the pedestal. Yet, the only access hatch in the pedestal is in the aft part of the pedestal base. I hope the pictures below show that reasonably well.

Am I missing something really fundamental or is the pedestal base installed backwards !? I considered the possibility that the cables might interfere with the emergency tiller if they run down the front of the pedestal, but the only reason to use the emergency tiller is if the cables aren't operational, or if someone stole the wheel :)

Thoughts ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Attachments

• DSC_1279.jpg
    DSC_1279.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_1277.jpg
    DSC_1277.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 50

Guy Stevens

Can you be a little clearer?

I have not been on a B in a few years. Is the pedestal installed above the rudder stock?

If it isn't which I seem to remember it not being. (Ie the pedestal is forward of the rudder stock). Then the issue is a standard one of concern of the emergency tiller being configured incorrectly, which it is on most boats.

Also I have been on a number of boats that the emergency tiller did extend aft when in use, it is not that unusual.

Take a bigger photo of the cockpit.

The issue of where the cables connect to the quadrant generally have little to do with the operation of the emergency tiller.

If you more clearly with photos perhaps explain your concern, we can give you more precise feedback.

The best way to test the emergency tiller! Try it out. It makes no difference if the wheel is still connected, just don't lock or touch the wheel during the try out secession. If you can't steer the boat with the wheel in place, and the tiller doing the work, then you need to modify the emergency tiller so that you can.

Guy
:)

Sven

Seglare
I'll be ...

Not only does it work, it is perfectly engineered to not have the tiller hit anything despite the relatively close quarters.

I feel a ton better knowing that I don't have to turn the pedestal base around :egrin:

-Sven

Attachments

• DSC_1309.jpg
    DSC_1309.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_1315.jpg
    DSC_1315.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_1322.jpg
    DSC_1322.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_1319.jpg