• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E41 Rudder Post Replacement or Repair?

R0D3R

Hi all-

I have an 1969 Ericson 41 sloop. I currently have it out of the water and on the hard, for some glass work to the keel.

While reviewing below the waterline, we noticed a crack in the glass of the rudder, where rusty drips oozed out on the top 1/3 of the rudder, forward near the post, port side.

According to this Practical Sailor construction PDF document, shoddy rudder posts seem to be a point of failure on early E41s (what I have)...

So I'm thinking, I'd like to replace the post with a longer, more substantial stainless steel post that I could have machined.

Has anyone ever done a repair like this, that they could share their experience and insights with me?

Cheers,
Matt

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
So I'm thinking, I'd like to replace the post with a longer, more substantial stainless steel post that I could have machined.
I'm guessing you're aware that the post is essentially buried deep in the rudder along with some flat plates/grids welded to it ? I guess if the rudder is in good shape you could in theory "slice" it open and replace the tube. You would also have to be sure to get the angles right while laying it up, foaming, etc. I've never attempted this so just thinking out loud from my couch.....also thinking if you were to attempt this you would want to first try slicing it open to see if it's even possible before you pay to have the tube made.

R0D3R

I'm guessing you're aware that the post is essentially buried deep in the rudder along with some flat plates/grids welded to it ?

My understanding from the PS PDF is that the post was just a short steel (316?) plate. I'm not clear on what is welded to it in the glass and how much cutting back of material is necessary to get the tube out. I guess this is what I was hoping to gain from this post.

also thinking if you were to attempt this you would want to first try slicing it open to see if it's even possible before you pay to have the tube made.

No doubt. I guess the worse case is that I have a whole new rudder made. Sigh...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It might be helpful to contact someone like http://fossrudders.com/

You have choices. If you remove all of the rudder sides/ foam from your existing armature and find that it can be reused, you could (in theory) rebuild a rudder around it.
My guess is that the old post and assembly may need replacing.

After all these decades there are newer rudder profiles you can use and this site has has pictures of the new designs on an E-35-2, and an E-32-2. Even newer designs like my O-34 may benefit from the newer rudder profiles.
I would talk to the rudder builder about choices.

Sometimes the old post and armature passes inspection and they mold out a new rudder around it (albeit to the old less efficient design).
My suspicion is that most owners are concerned about fatigue and corrosion inside the old post and opt for all-new. I would.
Ericson's seem to benefit from the Schumacher-designed profile and the vendor has it on hand, IIRC.

Anyhow, some research will be needed. Good luck!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ralph Naranjo sailed his 41 all over the place and I think he replaced the rudder.

You might try to find him (there aren't all that many 41s left).

...Wind Shadow, a 41-foot sloop the Naranjos have owned for over three decades. During the past 15 years, he has moderated US Sailing Safety at Sea seminars across the country, and now is an adjunct lecturer at the Annapolis School of Seamanship [2022]

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We have a site member, Mike, restoring a 41.
Here is one thread that he participated in: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/looking-at-an-e41.19132/
You might want to correspond with him. As with any site member, click on their name for a choice to private message the person.

EDIT. Found pic of slightly newer Ericson 35-2 with the Schumacher rudder in place. This is from an earlier thread on this site.

Attachments

• E-35-2 Newer Rudder.jpg
    E-35-2 Newer Rudder.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: