• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Editing Comments in a Blog question

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Sean,
I posted a Comment in a Blog "NMEA 2000 Network Design, Electronics Upgrade" posted by goldenstate. After I posted my comment I tried to go back and edit the text and couldn't do that. There was no Edit button or link that was displayed to me on my view of my Comment. There is no Delete button either. Is that intentional?

Here is a screenshot of my Blog Comment, obtained yesterday.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 4

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I just checked on one of my blog entries, and the "edit" function icon is available for others and for my answers below it. It occurs to me that this might be because of some 'moderator' powers that Sean has authorized for me, tho.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
The site owner has various ways to set permissions and I think the default is to allow editing for a certain period of time, but not after. As Loren surmised this can be changed.

On the forum I moderate (same Xen Foro background) we had an experience which illustrated the potential value for the time limited approach. We had a very active member who did post a lot of good info, but he had a really bad ego issue. He couldn't stand for others to contradict or challenge him and that happened a lot. After numerous warnings from the mods and a number of "can't play well with others" events, we woke one morning to find that the twit had deleted everything he ever posted then quit the forum. Think about how much info is actually contained in all the quoted material used in subsequent posts which were then broken and you can get the idea of how that selfish act really screwed up a bunch of threads.

In the end we stayed with the ability to edit forever. fwiw - I've seen nobody here with a similar ego issue and would endorse the ability to edit forever.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks for the responses. I have read the Blog guidelines now and Comments are not addressed. The first five Blog posts by an author are reviewed by a moderator after submission, before they can be viewed by the members. I suspect that permission to edit Blog comments or responses on other peoples Blogs is a feature that is turned off for non-Moderators. My particular case is not urgent and I could have made another comment to correct or clarify.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Thanks for the responses. I have read the Blog guidelines now and Comments are not addressed. The first five Blog posts by an author are reviewed by a moderator after submission, before they can be viewed by the members. I suspect that permission to edit Blog comments or responses on other peoples Blogs is a feature that is turned off for non-Moderators. My particular case is not urgent and I could have made another comment to correct or clarify.

Uhhhgh. I just entered a response to that question on the other thread....

Yes, after mid-March we instituted an time limit on edits because we had a user who went back through 171 posts and tried to delete everything -- including images - which is prohibited by the User Agreement for obvious reasons.

I believe the time limit is 2 days - so edits should be possible within that window. If they're not, let me know and I'll check the controls. We can also bump you up to Moderator status, (as Loren pointed out) they can edit indefinitely. Of course, folks are welcome to let us know if they have something they keenly want to change - and we can assist or provide temp authority to do, etc.

//sse

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Yep, I'm everywhere. I will try a comment again soon and let you know. I may be doing another blog post soon also and will test edit limits.