• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Electrical system upgrade

erikwfab

Member II
Does anyone have any experience purchasing and installing a complete electrical system upgrade?
I would like to install a complete new system with an inverter, charger, batteries, switchgear. I would like the ability to add solar panels and a wind generator as well.
Right now I am in a slip with shore power so power generation devices are not necessary but will come later.
In my preliminary search I found a company called Mastervolt that sells complete systems but I have no experience with their price or quality.
My goal is to be electrically self sufficient for normal kw loads, right now my E36C is stock 1976 electrically and I would like to develop an upgrade plan.
Cost is a concern and installation is not a problem just looking for other peoples experiences regarding this conversion as time spent researching this topic is time not spent underway.
Cheers

Lucky Dog

Member III
We have 35II. I ripped my entire electrical system out. Most of it was rotten and poor circuits on top of poor circuits. There is a lot of info posted here. We are trying to keep the new system a simple as possible. Almost all lighting has changed over to LED with some fluorescence for the galley. New batteries and keeping the starter battery on its own using a solar panel for charging. Using a charger/invertor combination. All wire is is in a plastic tubing as a raceway. Added six fans. A separate small bilge pump on is own battery and solar panel. Planning for a electric windlass.

Our boat hasn't felt anything but rain water for three years. Because of softdecks I have ripped everything apart. So it was a good time to update electrical too.

ml

eknebel

Member III
I would suggest the first step is to have a realistic idea of what the electrical load will be. What you currently have, and likely additions(autopilots take quite a lot, refrigeration, radar, etc). Then you can design the system that will fit your needs. Nigel Calder is the guru, his books on electrical systems are quite thorough. My guess is you don't see many complete systems for sale because there are so many variables that one size doesn't fit all. With cost a concern, perhaps piecemeal purchases are the way to go(with a ultimate plan in place). As a example, size the battery bank you will eventually need, and buy AGM batteries and shore charger/inverter, and upgrade voltage regulation for AGM for the alternator. Or, after reading Nigel's information, rip out the diesel, convert to an electric hybrid with diesel generator: power consumption solved! Oh wait, cost is a issue:)

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Congratulations on completing this big job! Can you post some pics and describe some of the really good things you did, and what you learned to do differently along the way. Would be helpful if someone else is thinking of tackling this job.
Frank

Glyn Judson

Your rewiring job is done.

Eric, Congratulations on the completion of a difficult and time consuming job, yes photos please. I'd love to invite myself over to see the finished product in person and to admire the rest of your boat. I'm at the Santa Monica Yacht Club anchorage and would be happy to reciprocate any time. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55 Marina del Rey CA C:310.804.9198